2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Newbie buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 PM
FLOATTUBR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie buying advice

Looking at a 97 V8 Sport, 4x4 with 140k, Rebuilt transmission, great shape for 2800.00
What's the most important thing to inspect or watch out for?? Thanks in advance to all you Dak lovers out there. Marshall in Portland.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:42 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bj's and bad paint, rusty bumpers. is it the 318 or 4.7?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:47 PM
FLOATTUBR

Don't know yet. I'll see it tonight. My son found it and love's it so far. What's the easiest way to check the BJ's? or is there.
We're both gearheads and will do most of any repairs ourselves.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM
zanethan
Veteran

It'll be the 318 the 4.7 wasn't offered until 01 i believe. One way to check is just look and make sure there are no tears in the boots other than that not really sure how you can check them.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM
thunder98110
Champion

jack the car up just a bit and shove a stick or just try to move the tire up or down. there shoudnt be much play

Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

just test drive it over some nice bumpy roads and if you hear any clunking, you'll know.

the trans is the other mechanical worry, but since its been rebuilt already you should be good.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
aaron580
Amateur

look for rust on the frame and under the fenders as well.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Belly pan gasket. Don't know how to go about checking it prior to purchase. Ask about oil usage? Lots of black sooty deposits around the tailpipe? There may be oil in the intake, which will be visible, but yanking off a TB is a pretty extensive pre-purchase investigation, and it might not even let you know one way or the other for sure.

It isn't a really "hard" or expensive fix, but it is definitely time-consuming and messy.

As for the suspension, the ball joints are cheap and easy to replace. In fact, i think pretty much everything up front is relatively cheap and easy to replace. I wouldn't not buy it because of suspension issues, but I would use it as bargaining leverage for sure if I could point out that something appeared to be going bad. Look for abnormal wear on the tires. Bad ball joints on my truck caused pretty significant cupping on the inside tread in pretty quick amount of time. Shocks will tend to cause both the outside and inside to wear prematurely. Don't forget to check the back tires in case a recent rotation was done. Also, the ball joints will definitely start to squeak or clunk. Slow speeds, lots of bumps, with the window down will give you any indication of noise coming from up front.

Rust. That has been covered. If it is metal, it is prone to rust. No other way to explain it.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:27 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by alleymad99SLT
Belly pan gasket. Don't know how to go about checking it prior to purchase. Ask about oil usage? Lots of black sooty deposits around the tailpipe? There may be oil in the intake, which will be visible, but yanking off a TB is a pretty extensive pre-purchase investigation, and it might not even let you know one way or the other for sure.

It isn't a really "hard" or expensive fix, but it is definitely time-consuming and messy.

As for the suspension, the ball joints are cheap and easy to replace. In fact, i think pretty much everything up front is relatively cheap and easy to replace. I wouldn't not buy it because of suspension issues, but I would use it as bargaining leverage for sure if I could point out that something appeared to be going bad. Look for abnormal wear on the tires. Bad ball joints on my truck caused pretty significant cupping on the inside tread in pretty quick amount of time. Shocks will tend to cause both the outside and inside to wear prematurely. Don't forget to check the back tires in case a recent rotation was done. Also, the ball joints will definitely start to squeak or clunk. Slow speeds, lots of bumps, with the window down will give you any indication of noise coming from up front.

Rust. That has been covered. If it is metal, it is prone to rust. No other way to explain it.

One thing I know that is expensive up front is bearing hub assembly auto zone wants 198.99 for one side

Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
One thing I know that is expensive up front is bearing hub assembly auto zone wants 198.99 for one side
That is pricey...

http://www.partstrain.com/store/inde...shaft+%26+Axle

Quick Reply: Newbie buying advice