2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear wheel stud

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 PM
BIGDAVESDAKOTA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel stud

Well I was rotating my tires and I broke a rear wheel stud off don't know how but I did. What I want to know is do I have to pull the axle to replace or can I just pound it out. I have done them on older rams and was able to do them with out pulling the axle

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you can get to the stud from the rear with the axle shaft in, you should be able to just pound it out and put another one in. I havent checked mine, but I dont see why it would cause any problems.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

The studs can be pounded out...they're just a pressed fit. The rears are actually easier since the hub wont spin as long as the other wheel is on the ground. Just get a new one from autozone or something, and all you need to do is get an open end nut and crank the new stud into place.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
BIGDAVESDAKOTA

Thanks I a going to pic one up tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:53 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

I do about 20 of these a day, pull the wheel off, pull the drum off, set parking brake to give you a little more room, with a large metal mallet pound the broken stud back, We use old castle nuts, (the bolt that holds the wheel assembly onto a drive shaft on a front wheel drive vehicle.) but any large open nut should work.the bolt needs to be bigger then the threads so it doesn't by chance grab a thread. best way to do this is with an impact. its gonna take some nuts so a wal-mart throw away wont work. Slide the new stud into the hole to get it started. place the open nut over the stud followed by the lug nut... with an impact hammer the $#!^ out of it till the back of the head of the stud is flush with the back of the wheel mount. DO NOT over do it or you will be doing it all over again. as long as you dont over due it the lug nut you used to press in the stud SHOULD be good to re use... its going to be a little warm so be careful. release p-brake, put drum back on, wheel and torque lugs back to spec, 100 ft lbs. If you apply some anti-seize to the studs, then your shouldn't have any problems braking any more studs.

Last edited by crateampsrock; 06-02-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel stud