2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Practicly stole a 97 Dakota last week (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Practicly stole a 97 Dakota last week (pics)

Hey guys I'm kinda new to this forum but last week I picked up a 97 Dakota for a steal. It has 151,000 miles, its a 3.9 v-6, 4x4, ext cab, short box, sport. The guy needed money quick because he was moving so he wanted 1300, but I showed up with 700 and flashed it in his face so he took it. It does need a little work though. The tailgate is dented, as is the bottom of the driver door. The passanger mirror is missing, and the rear bumper too. I don't care about the dents because its going to be a winter/mudding truck, but I am going to the junkyard this week and getting a mirror and bumper. The speedo and odo also stopped working last week. The only other thing is there is a ticking noise somewhere in the transfercase, but only when your in 2wd. The 4x4 works great and the noise goes away when you put it in so I'm confused on that one, but my buddys a mechanic so we'll get both of those things fixed. What do you think though, not a bad deal for 700?

So far I added the blackout tail light covers, I had them sitting in my garage from a friends truck. The foglights and grill and grill insert were also included. It also came with a pioneer deck and some half *** bedliner. The previous owner put in new plugs wires cap rotor, cat converter, changed all fluids, replaced all brakes, and replaced both sensors for the speedo which didn't fix it.

Anyway, I wanted a couple opinions on some things. First I'm going to get some mud terrains because these gay 215's arent cutting it, but they are brand new, so I'll sell them, haha. Second I kinda want a body lift, but what else will need to be modified when I do that? As in the 4x4 shifter and what else? Should I just put some 31 MT's on and call it a day? And second, I'm looking for a grill guard and roll bar (black ones) used because its gonna get the crap kicked out of it anyway. Anyone have one for sale?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dakota and Lucy 006.jpg (94.7 KB, 86 views)
Dakota and Lucy 012.jpg (95.7 KB, 51 views)
Dakota and Lucy 009.jpg (95.1 KB, 37 views)
Dakota and Lucy 011.jpg (94.2 KB, 28 views)
Dakota and Lucy 008.jpg (94.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by RPMRamFury; 08-04-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
zanethan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idk about your questions really but get rid of that god awful grill! but nice for 700 bucks!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

215's on a 4x4 ??! i thought 235's were the smallest the 4x4's got?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional

Ya, I already got rid of that gross *** bottom part of the grill, and I'm going to take off the 4 top parts and put that black gutter guard on soon. And ya those 215's are so gay, I can't believe they are even on it. I'm going to get 31 MT's unless I don't do a body lift, then I'd go with 33 MT's.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks pretty good not bad for what you paid and yes those tires are SO small 31's will look decent on it

Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional

zanethan, I know I asked you in another thread if your bedliner stuck on the bottom, but I'm still kinda weary because I'm going to be running this bitch through some bad stuff, haha. I don't care about the looks so much, but I don't want the scratches to rust out to holes in the doors. But I guess the bedliner is better than paint huh?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

decent looking truck specially for 700bucks, as for the roll bar good luck, they are pretty hard to find at a decent price, only one ive seen is go rhino, but they are pricey, u can always make one
brush guards are easy tho, the daks look so good with em on, i got mine from ebay for like 150 bucks easy install with two people and a floor jack, make sure to get one that mounts to the frame and not just to the bumper

Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMRamFury
zanethan, I know I asked you in another thread if your bedliner stuck on the bottom, but I'm still kinda weary because I'm going to be running this bitch through some bad stuff, haha. I don't care about the looks so much, but I don't want the scratches to rust out to holes in the doors. But I guess the bedliner is better than paint huh?
If your going to but beating it up might as well use bedliner it can really hold up to stuff my buddy had a jeep cherokee and he did bedliner from the bottom of the windows down held up awesome

Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 PM
zanethan
Veteran

Yeah bedliner will hold up great. just make sure to prep the paint correctly and you won't have any issues. And to answer your question on the other thread RPMRamFury I think it was 1 can. I just bought the kit from advance which includes the roller, brush, and liner it might have been 2 cans tho.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

Holy tiny tires batman

Quick Reply: Practicly stole a 97 Dakota last week (pics)