2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radiator Cracked & Overheated

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Draztik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Cracked & Overheated

2002 Dakota
4.7L
2wd
Trans Cooler

Well first major problem today. Radiator cracked & the truck over heated & died on me on the freeway. I'll be replacing the radiator, hoses & thermostat since i'm there this weekend. When i crank the truck nothing sounds abnormal so I'm guessing the spark plugs just failed to the heat so I'll replace those this weekend too.

I was curious if there is anything else I should look for while replacing the radiator that could be causing it not to start now while i'm there?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it got to hot it could have a cracked head

Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 PM
984x4
Professional

Look for black stuff-oil residue- in the puke (overflow) tank. Before you try to get it going, check the oil for water/coolant and pressure test the cooling system. Make sure that you get all the air out of the system,too.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Draztik

Originally Posted by 984x4
Look for black stuff-oil residue- in the puke (overflow) tank. Before you try to get it going, check the oil for water/coolant and pressure test the cooling system. Make sure that you get all the air out of the system,too.
what's the best way to make sure all the air is cleared? It was sputtering before it died so I'm hoping it's just spark so we'll see

Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Draztik

Got new spark plugs put in & still won't start, here's a vid I'm pretty sure that's normal sounding but just wanted to double check with ya'll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Bz0sfDo2w

Old 08-28-2010, 09:42 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
If it got to hot it could have a cracked head
Originally Posted by 984x4
was there any discoloration in the oil?

not sure without checking but, i think there is a temp sensor that will keep it from starting on or near t-stat housing

hope this helps

KillerKilgore

Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Draztik

Originally Posted by KillerKilgore
was there any discoloration in the oil?

not sure without checking but, i think there is a temp sensor that will keep it from starting on or near t-stat housing

hope this helps

KillerKilgore
No discoloration in oil

Also, its at my families house because I can't work on our truck here at our apartment & they said they went to start it just a minute ago and it did start and ran to normal temp then it backfired. I'm thinking maybe a sensor as well, could there be a way to know if it was a timing issue?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Draztik

I could really use some help, I got it to start but only if i leave my foot on the gas pedal. Then it starts & revs but soon as i let go it slowly goes down & dies. Also, sounds pretty bad like its missing & you can smell the gasoline in the exhaust.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Draztik

Here's a vid of it started when I keep my foot on pedal & then it stalling after I let off. I don't know if it will help but you can hear the engine not sounding too good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i01YFNW51k

Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Draztik

Had a shop do the job for me, they got heads machined, new lifters, new timing tensioner, two new tensioners, new radiator, new head gaskets, etc

Now it is knocking during idle & seems to idle a lil higher than i remember it doing. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Radiator Cracked & Overheated