2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5224's or 3923's for 01 QC 3.6L, V6, 2WD??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5224's or 3923's for 01 QC 3.6L, V6, 2WD??

Got a 2001 Quad Cab, 3.6L, V6, 2WD. Searched this forum looking for which plugs to get for my truck. Almost every post favored the 3923's. Went to Wally World today to pick some up but in the book it says my Dakota uses the 5224's which looked a tad bit bigger. Would someone let me know which ones to get?

Also, I'd really appreciate any info on best cap and rotor, wire set, oil and filter. I searched this too but now I want to double check to be sure what I wrote down is correct for my truck. I'm still new at all of this so any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The magnum motor likes the 3923's the best. I just put them in my 5.2 couple months ago.
Cant remember what the brands I all got but I think it was accel cap and rotor and duralast wire set. I think it was something like 65.00 at autozone for cap,rotor,plugs and wires.

Oil I will only ever use 10w30 valvoline syn blend and as far as filter there is a lot of different views on them I use mopar one on my truck cause I bought 5 off ebay for a discount price but some on here say never use fram cause they are crap but to this day our 04 grand cherokee 4.0 gets them(owned from 34,00 to current 91,000 miles) 07 dodge ram 1500 hemi(13,000 to current 32,000) and the best for last 95 jeep cherokee 4.0 (11 miles to 217,000) All three of those have had only fram filters. Only one showing wear is the 95 using a quart of oil about every 200 miles but hey its my beater so im hard on it.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 PM
luvdogz
Rookie

Thanks for your reply, Dodgeramguy85! I'll get the 3923's. Wonder why they didn't list these for my truck? I did lots of searching here and that book messed me up. Being a female, I get nervous when this happens and I second guess myself.

Thanks, again, for your reply! Can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah Your welcome thats what we are here for lol.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the 3923's are just a slightly cooler heat range. So that plug will run a little better then what is specified, the 5224.

As far as cap, rotor, and wires. If you just go to Napa or anyother autoparts store, they will give you a direct replacement for them. And it wil work fine.

How many miles does your truck have? If it is low, you might want to run a synthetic. It's always a good choice if the miles are lower.

If they are 75k+ I would just use a conventional oil. Or like I use, Valvoline Durablend, which is a synthetic blend. I really like that oil.

As for filters, I've used Mopar ones and haven't had a problem, but usually use WIX filters, they are one of, if not the best filter you can use. You can't go wrong with them.

So in conclusion:
Both plugs will work, the 3923 may work a little better
Any direct replacement cap, rotor, and wires will work fine as well.
Basically any name brand oil will work fine as long as it is changed in regualr 3k miles intervals. But I prefer Valv. Durablend.
Use a WIX filter, you can't go wrong with them.

Last edited by bpark8824; 08-31-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
luvdogz
Rookie

Thanks for your reply Bpark8824! My truck has 156,000 miles on it so I'll stick with regular blend oil as you suggested. I'll also get that oil filter and I'll go to NAPA for the rest.

You say both plugs will work fine but you say the 5224's will work a little better? Also, why didn't they list the 3923's for my truck? I think it's crazy not to if Dakota owners like them. Sure did confuse me because I don't know enough yet.

Thanks again for your help! Most guys won't reply if they know it's a girl asking the question. I truly appreciate that you did!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 PM
metalsrfr
Veteran

The 3923 s seem to work better in the magnum engines the reason they don't list them for the dakot is because they are not made for the dakota it is a cooler running plug made for something like a honda those are the only plugs I will run in my truck

Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Parts catalogs don't list 3923's for a 3.9 because it is not the same heat range as the factory specified plug. Dodge engineers did a study some years ago and found that the Magnum engines ran better and made more power and were more efficient with a plain copper core plug.

The Autolite 3923 is one heat range colder than the 5224 and the stock Champion plug. One heat range colder plug will help with preignition/detonation engine ping. It has to do with the timing of the spark kernel and the pulse of fuel from the fuel injector in the combustion chamber. 3.9's are sort of known for ping issues. I know mine sure was, and the 3923's helped a lot. As far as power goes, I guess there's not much difference between 5224's and 3923's.

Napa sells a premium distributor cap and rotor, part # MO26 and MO28. They cost about $25.00 for the pair, but they have brass contacts that last longer and get a better spark to the plugs. The Napa premium spark plug wire set from Belden is very high quality too, around here the set runs about $38.00.

Bpark has it right about the oil. Any brand will be OK as long as you change it on schedule. The Valvoline Durablend he receommended is a great oil. You don't see it for sale much around here though, and I don't know why. Valvoline Maxlife is also a conventional/synthetic blend but it also has seal conditioners and agents to reduce leaking seals and avoid further leaks. The bad thing about Maxlife is it is on the thicker end of its viscosity scale and it can be a bit detrimental to power and MPG. But it will protect and lube the innards of your engine very well. My truck was a little sluggish on Maxlife 10W30. The Wix filter he recommended is about the very best oil filter you can buy, and Napa Gold filters are the exact same as a Wix brand filter, the only difference is the box and the logo on the filter can. Carquest Blue Label filters are also re-badged Wix filters. The Mopar filter you can buy at Walmart is also a great filter, right now it is made by Purolator.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luvdogz
Thanks for your reply Bpark8824! My truck has 156,000 miles on it so I'll stick with regular blend oil as you suggested. I'll also get that oil filter and I'll go to NAPA for the rest.

You say both plugs will work fine but you say the 5224's will work a little better? Also, why didn't they list the 3923's for my truck? I think it's crazy not to if Dakota owners like them. Sure did confuse me because I don't know enough yet.

Thanks again for your help! Most guys won't reply if they know it's a girl asking the question. I truly appreciate that you did!!!!
I edited my post. I meant to say the 3923 will work a little better. I'm sorry to confuse you.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:22 PM
luvdogz
Rookie

Thanks, metalsrfr, for your reply. I'm going to go with the 3923's!

Thanks, 01Silvercc, for your reply too. I really appreciate the explanation of parts and I'm happy my truck will be receiving what's best for it. I'll go to NAPA tomorrow and pick up the parts you suggested and I'm keeping a copy of it. My brother is doing the tune-up, etc., I'll be cleaning the throttle body, MAP, IAC and TPS myself. I learned how to do this on this forum. I can do quite a few of the smaller jobs but the bigger ones need more muscle than I have.

Okay, sorry to ramble... Please know I appreciate all of your replies!! My husband passed away in January and this Dakota was his baby!! You can't know how much your help means to me when it comes to doing what's best for this truck!! Y'all take your expertise and knowledge for granted but I don't!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 5224's or 3923's for 01 QC 3.6L, V6, 2WD??