2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

So got some bad news.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So got some bad news.

So today my buddy and I came up with a master plan to get my truck aligned for free. He works at a Kramer tire and is taking a suspension class at the local community college. So today they were doing alignments and had him take my truck in to get it aligned for free. But I got a call from him saying that they can't really do the alignment cause the outer tie rods are shot and that they prolly wouldn't hold an alignment. So I said alright they aren't that expensive, and his class can just replace those for free too lol. So I texted him asking if I bought them if they could replace them and align it for me, I didn't here from him till he brought my truck here and he said they actually didn't do the alignment cause my rack and pinion is shot. I was like F***!! But it doesn't surprise me cause I've seen a leak in the driver's side tie rod boot. But he showed me some pics of what it looked like behind the boots and how the seal was pretty much gone on the driver's side. I'm working on getting the pics from him but his phone is retarded. So he is gonna see if his class will be able to replace it for me, which doesn't bother me cause the teacher is a master tech and I've met him and he is really knowledgeable. But it looks like a full long rack plus outer tie rods will cost me $210 plus $90 core.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

damn dude, sorry to hear that. i wonder what mine is like as its a 4x4......when ever my trucks not right i tell my parents its like having a kid in the hospital.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

Just got the pics. I'm working the midnight release for final fantasy 14 at my store right now so ill post em up when I get home

Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

ok heres the pics, pass side

driver's side

inside driver's boot

Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm doing my outters this weekend and then getting it aligned next week at either bastian tire or the local dodge dealer so hopefully my inners aren't bad too i really don't feel like taking the covers off hto haha that sucks you gotta get the whole deal tho at least you know now your steering wont go out on you since its probably one of the most important things other than brakes

Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I also can get work done pretty much free If I buy the parts they will install for free not to mention free alignments,tire mounting and balance

Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
thunder98110
Champion

do auto tech colleges do auto work on like normal peoples cars?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

maybe, i dont know, i know this one they do alignments and stuff on their own vehicles so i just had my buddy drive my truck up there to have it done, always awesome having the hookup

Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in auto tech in high school, you just had to know somebody in the program who could put you in touch with the teacher and coordinate with him.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

its like my truck is trying to rob me of all the money i dont have, comin home from class today i stop by the local grocery and run in to get a drink and when i come out my truck wont start, im like awe crap did i leave the lights on or something, nope, just battery decided to commit suicide for no reason, this does explain a couple of the weird problems my truck has been having (radio not operating the way it should on start up, its supposed to auto open), so just got a new battery, there goes a hundred bucks, and later today my buddy is gonna ask if his class can replace the steering rack, tie rods, and align it so it will save me some money, if i get the ok ill buy the stuff today and have them do everything tomorrow but that'll be 210+tax

Quick Reply: So got some bad news.