2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Torsion Bar Lift and Tie Rod Ends...DONE! *pic intensive*

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torsion Bar Lift and Tie Rod Ends...DONE! *pic intensive*

So after messing around all afternoon because I didn't have the right tools I just finished up lifting the front of my truck 1" and doing my outter tie rod ends. I ended up renting a fork from Autozone for $16 bucks and a front end suspension kit from Advanced Auto for $95 bucks that finally got the job done. I didn't realize how much it took to get those suckers out. I thought I had broken the tool when both the tie rod ends finally broke loose. After that I cranked up my tbars about an inch so I can fit 32x11.50 Goodyear MTR's with Kevelar whenever my friend orders them for me at the 20% and free ship discount he gets from tire rack. I went for a quick spin around the block to make sure I had everything right and the steering wheel is a little off but I love how it rides with the front up. A little stiffer and i can just feel that its not raked as much I love it. Its goin to the Dodge dealer because somehow they were the cheapest where I goto school on Monday for an alignment. Just figured Id show you guys some pics and if anyone has any questions about the tbars or tie rod ends I now know what I'm really talking about haha If I had that kit from advanced right away I woulda been done in at least half the time. It also took a few whack and lots of liquid wrench to get the tie rods and torsion bars done. Here are some pics! Oh yeah I got my tie rod ends from Rock Auto their made by Deeza and seem to be really good quality and are greasable.
edit: i also backed the overshift bolt stops on my hurst shifter out because I think they are what is making the shifter so noisy and the horrible noise I hear when i'm bogged down going up a hill and its to high for 2nd or to low for 3rd or 3-4 so if anyone is interest i haven't driven it yet but only time will tell with this.
before the torsion bar lift:
S7301739.jpg
after the torsion bar lift:
S7301743.jpg
again before:
S7301740.jpg
again after:
S7301742.jpg
one more before (not from today haha forgot to take a front shot):
IMGP1835.jpg
one more after:
S7301741.jpg
some tie rod end pics, new and old:
S7301736.jpg
S7301735.jpg
S7301734.jpg
S7301732.jpg
this was the first one i annihilated trying to get off without the kit haha but it was only a little better than that before I started:
S7301731.jpg
S7301730.jpg
S7301729.jpg

Last edited by TheePlaymaker; 09-25-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how easy was it for the tie rod ends, one of mine is like that and i need to get new ones?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:22 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

if you have the tie rod end puller its easy, if you have a hammer and hope you can beat it out your screwed...this is what you need and just remember you gotta get it aligned after you do this...http://www.etoolcart.com/ProductImages/otc/OTC-7503.jpg

Old 09-26-2010, 02:52 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats just a generic gear puller no? We have some of those at work and I can steal one to do it if I need to.

Next summer its tb crank, wheels, tires, and tie rod ends. That way I only need one alignment.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard was it to crank the tb's? I would like to do it sometime. Maybe a little write up on how you did it? Or is it just as simple as crank on those bolts?

And man it looks a LOT better. Especially from the front. It sits so proper now.

Last edited by bpark8824; 09-26-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 PM
00dakSport
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

night and day. i think it looks way better. the rake on mine is pissing me off. i just unloaded 800#s of brcks and it looked so much better level.

i think i've read a write up, and you gotta mark the bolts so you crank each side the same. but a new write up and some close ups would help.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

yeah its just lots of turning climbing out from under the truck measuring, turning, measuring...at first I thought i didn't have a big enough breaker bar but a hard first turn with all my muscle and weight into it seemed to break it loose then it turned a little easier. i did put ear plugs in tho because it was so loud haha. i did it with out the front end jacked up because then i didnt have to let it down to see where i was at. it might be easier if you jack it up but then you gotta let it down and measure...basically its a little harder to turn but worth it to just not jack up the front. i sprayed the front and back of the torsion bar for about 2 days before hand and right before i did it with liquid wrench. and in that kit i got from advanced said that that tool was a tie rod end puller. i tried it with a piece of crap weak gear puller and one it kept sliding off and two it bent it haha but if what you get looks just like that with the cap that goes over the top of the bolt on the part that screws down so it doesn't slide off it should work out. like i said i thought i broke the tool when they broke loose so it takes a good amount of force

Old 09-26-2010, 03:43 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 00dakSport
night and day. i think it looks way better. the rake on mine is pissing me off. i just unloaded 800#s of brcks and it looked so much better level.

i think i've read a write up, and you gotta mark the bolts so you crank each side the same. but a new write up and some close ups would help.
i didnt mark the bolts i just bounced the front end to get all the tension out got the passenger side up to 36.5" from 35.5" from the ground to the bottom of the fender flare and then did the same on the other side. in the pic it looks and when i drive it like the pass side is lower but from the ground to the fender flare its actually .25" higher somehow so idk if im gonna leave it or not like that. their is another way that you can measure to get them exactly the same as far as control arms to frame wise or something like that but you'd have to look it up

Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 PM
00dakSport
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to theeplaymaker i finally cranked my tb's up for an inch of lift. it was way easier then i thought and only cost 3 bucks for the pb 500 blaster. i let it soak for a few minutes and they poped free. 4 turns on the bolts and now the bumper, door and my steps are all 1'' higher now. raining now, pics tomorow

Old 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to do mine the day before my alignment but I couldnt get the bolts to break free my rake isnt to bad anyway.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bar Lift and Tie Rod Ends...DONE! *pic intensive*