2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Basic Tuneup: What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Basic Tuneup: What am I missing?

Since I no longer have power steering, and I discovered why my CEL has been on (typical reason), Here's what I've got lined out on a notecard.

My big question, especially for the pump, am I better off buying at Orielly's, or going the extra 10 miles to NAPA?

EVAP vacuum lines- #52102714AA or #52102698AA (Charcoal Canister side)
Spark Plugs- Autolite 3923
Power Steering Pump- #52039484AC

Should I do cap and rotor, or no?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might as well...when was the last time you did the cap and rotor or had the truck would be the first question. those seem to be the good plugs for the magnum motors but i also hear that they like platinum plugs as well so your call. since their aren't o'reily's around me i can't really comment on that i usually goto napa for oil filters only or online for most other stuff

Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do it all plugs,wires,cap and rotor. I got all that from auto zone for 65.00 well worth it.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 PM
magnethead
Legend

Anything else? This is already adding up on the $$$

Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Id say that will prob be good.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long has it been since all the other fluids have been changed. Trans, rear end, coolant. If it's been awhile you might want to consider doing them. Especially the trans. It's a Dodge after all.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by bpark8824
How long has it been since all the other fluids have been changed. Trans, rear end, coolant. If it's been awhile you might want to consider doing them. Especially the trans. It's a Dodge after all.
Don't remind me. The trans has been out of the truck twice in less than a year (first an internal detonation of pretty much every rotating part, then for a cracked torque convertor). Hoping to get oil done this week (I'm past due but nobody stays open after 6 around here). Coolant is still green (it made it through our 8" of snow last winter without cracking), differential will be done when I go to 4.10's (which is what I'm saving up for once i get everything else taken care of).

Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 AM
UncleStu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who used to own & work on cars with *Points*, & is well versed in caring for distributor caps & rotors back when they had a *LOT* less voltage going through them than modern pointless systems- I'm gonna say(especially since it sounds like $$ may be tight for you right now) that unless you have good reason to believe there's something really wrong with your cap or rotor, keep what you have and maybe do a little light cleanup on the rotor tip & terminals inside the cap. Save your $ & when you do replace the cap & rotor, spend a little extra & be sure to get brass contacts instead of aluminum.

It would be nice to do all that stuff you mentioned at once but sometimes the money snowballs & you have to prioritize. I suspect that new plugs (& maybe a little cap/rotor cleanup) will work OK. If you've never done it PM me & I'll walk you through it, it isn't rocket science. Just be very careful of the* inside* center(coil wire) terminal in the cap, that's the one place where you might ruin it & have to buy a new cap after all!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magnethead
Don't remind me. The trans has been out of the truck twice in less than a year (first an internal detonation of pretty much every rotating part, then for a cracked torque convertor). Hoping to get oil done this week (I'm past due but nobody stays open after 6 around here). Coolant is still green (it made it through our 8" of snow last winter without cracking), differential will be done when I go to 4.10's (which is what I'm saving up for once i get everything else taken care of).
We were going through Virginia on our way to Flordia when my sister's blinker stopped working, lucky down there Autozone was open till 9pm! I wish it was like that around here.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
midget-farms
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to keep my major tune ups to less than one weekend.

So I'd say you have enough on your plate - unless you are asking for a list of parts that may wear - Heck you could replace everything. Injectors, fuel pressure regulator - might as well go for a couple O2 sensors right? Naw - better to just do what you have & wait for the rest to be needed. It's not like a timing belt that needs to be done before it breaks. The rest can be done as it wears out.

Quick Reply: Basic Tuneup: What am I missing?