2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

So long deteriorating clear coat =)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So long deteriorating clear coat =)

Oh yea! Took a while to wet sand the piece of crap clear off, but I just sprayed the first coat of paint! I'm very proud of this because this is the first time I've mixed the paint and used an air compressed spray gun. There's a few run offs around where the primer is because of my old burden of a dent is, but that'll wet sand off. Hopefully I'll just need to put on one more coat or 2 and on to the clear coat! Other than that I'm impressed by the turn out...the paint is very well mixed to my PR4 code! Pic!

Last edited by Rakaric; 10-01-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
twitchy
Professional

Nicely done!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good. I've always thought my paint was sparayed good at the factory but then I found out it was resparayed.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:46 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. I'm scared that anyday I am going to out to my truck and see bubbles all over the hood or roof. It's only a matter of time. It sits outside 3/4 of the year so it's going to happen soon.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:44 PM
00dakSport
All Star

i think red is the worst color when it comes to fading and flaking. my roof was fine in the beginning of the summer now its maybe 50% clearcoat.

rakaric did you just spray the roof?any blending? i need to do mine and the top of my bed is scratched to hell.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 00dakSport
i think red is the worst color when it comes to fading and flaking. my roof was fine in the beginning of the summer now its maybe 50% clearcoat.

rakaric did you just spray the roof?any blending? i need to do mine and the top of my bed is scratched to hell.
Well basically all I did was just tear off the gloss with a long process of wet sanding. Then came the parts where I have my dent and a bubbled spot because of rust in which I had to take down to the bare metal. After I did all that I put the primer on those areas and wet sanded the edges. Depending on how bad the scratches are, it can pretty much be sanded and feathered to perfection. For me, perfection wasn't exactly a goal...to a certain extent, at least. My roof is ruined without professional assistance in some areas. The dent, for one..and there happens to be a few hail damaged areas. With that being said...the primer edges are not fully sanded to be even, which is what I'm okay with. My real goal was to eliminate the breaking clear coat and actually have one color throughout the entire roof. For the past few years, I just had a mediocre job with the dent in the front, so basically you can see the square I taped off...and plus the paint was getting messed up. So I did research on paints and I did all of this (with the gun) 75 bucks. As long as it lasts and there aren't any terrible problems...that's all I can ask for.

Basically....it's all about the prep. This is my daily driver so I really can't spend a week on sanding.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
#DodgeFan#
Amateur

looks great!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Well...it took a long time...but I finally got everything evened out. I stopped the painting on Saturday, but I let the clear coat settle for a few days. I just completed color sanding and I'm (for the most part) done with the buffing.

The end result came out the way I wanted it....no orange peel and a clean look. Just look at the picture with the fluorescent light...it's awesome! The only problem I have is that my buffer sucks...so there are still small scratches visible from the color sanding. Maybe if I feel like putting money into a faster one, I'll finish it up. Pics! This was all done for under 100 bucks by the way.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice! ive always loved that hood.

Quick Reply: So long deteriorating clear coat =)