2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front end squeeking driving me insane

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:35 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thinking about it its the outter ones that need to be greased and the inner ones are the ones you need the deep socket for but the outter ones have always fixed my problem

Old 10-14-2010, 03:24 PM
xDuhkota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oxygen454
I had a squeak issue similar to yours, turned out to be a worn ball joint. Bumps squeaks are normally bad ball joints, if it doesn't occur when you turn the steering back and forth.
^^I think this is the answer I've been looking for ... hopefully

Like many here on the board, I've got a bad front end squeak but it normally happens at low speeds and over things like speed bumps in a parking lot. It doesn't squeak on a flat road surface at all, or when the wheel is being turned, so sounds like it'll be the bad ball joints

Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xDuhkota
^^I think this is the answer I've been looking for ... hopefully

Like many here on the board, I've got a bad front end squeak but it normally happens at low speeds and over things like speed bumps in a parking lot. It doesn't squeak on a flat road surface at all, or when the wheel is being turned, so sounds like it'll be the bad ball joints
or my answer...same thing mine did and its a cheap fix to try first if you have grease...just sayin...

Old 10-14-2010, 04:06 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did this yesterday I had a squeak when I would hit bumps only happened on my pass side I thought maybe BJ but mine only have 20k on them and I grease them about every oil change turns out my caliper was loose actually loose is the wrong word more like not bolted. The threads were so bad on the spindle that the caliper bolts just pushed in so I had to use a heli coil to fix it now no more squeak.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
xDuhkota

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
or my answer...same thing mine did and its a cheap fix to try first if you have grease...just sayin...
Cool, thanks Playmaker. It was nothin personal though. Just tried searching the board to see if anyone had anything similar with a sure fire fix, but most of the threads I found weren't exactly like mine.
Others complained about it saying it would squeak on flat surfaces, and others (and I thought your original one) would say it would do it while turning the wheel. Since mine didn't do any of that, I just assumed it wasn't the issue

... but you know what they say about assuming ...

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I just did this yesterday I had a squeak when I would hit bumps only happened on my pass side I thought maybe BJ but mine only have 20k on them and I grease them about every oil change turns out my caliper was loose actually loose is the wrong word more like not bolted. The threads were so bad on the spindle that the caliper bolts just pushed in so I had to use a heli coil to fix it now no more squeak.
Ironically enough I just swapped out the calipers last weekend and the squeaking has been going on for about a year or so, so I don't think that's MY personal issue ... though it's good info to keep in mind for sure

Last edited by xDuhkota; 10-14-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool, thanks Playmaker. It was nothin personal though. Just tried searching the board to see if anyone had anything similar with a sure fire fix, but most of the threads I found weren't exactly like mine.
Others complained about it saying it would squeak on flat surfaces, and others (and I thought your original one) would say it would do it while turning the wheel. Since mine didn't do any of that, I just assumed it wasn't the issue

Ironically enough I just swapped out the calipers last weekend and the squeaking has been going on for about a year or so, so I don't think that's MY personal issue ... though it's good info to keep in mind for sure
Yeah you never know lol It was just weird that I did brakes like 6k ago and they were tight. Odd it did that in that short of time.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

haha i didnt mean to come off as rude or anything lol my main symptoms were exactly the same...it would only squeak at low speed ex. speed bumps or turning into my driveway at school which is basically a big speed bump haha plus its really easy to do...at least check them out and see how dry they look it has fixed the problem for me a few times nwo just greasing them...you also may have to replace them first if it doesn't work the first time. here is the thread that made me do mine in the first place after wondering what it was maybe this will help. just trying to save you some money if its not bjs https://dodgeforum.com/forum/diy-do-...geeteeohh.html

Old 10-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Brian2001
Rookie

I have a squeek very simular to yours. Just got cold recently and it started. Im very certain its my shock. I know my front passenger shock is busted and that sounds like thats where the sound is coming from. I would check your shocks and the rest of your bushings as well as bearings.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
xDuhkota

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Yeah you never know lol It was just weird that I did brakes like 6k ago and they were tight. Odd it did that in that short of time.
Very true. I've talked to my buddy (former technician with Dodge) about my plans for upgrades and mods, and we've planned to tear the truck up in a couple months to get some work done. When we do (or if I get a chance before then) I'll def. take a look at them.

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
haha i didnt mean to come off as rude or anything lol my main symptoms were exactly the same...it would only squeak at low speed ex. speed bumps or turning into my driveway at school which is basically a big speed bump haha plus its really easy to do...at least check them out and see how dry they look it has fixed the problem for me a few times nwo just greasing them...you also may have to replace them first if it doesn't work the first time. here is the thread that made me do mine in the first place after wondering what it was maybe this will help. just trying to save you some money if its not bjs https://dodgeforum.com/forum/diy-do-...geeteeohh.html
It's all good man, haha! That's one thing I can't stand about typing on forums, you can't hear the tone ... if that makes sense

I appreciate the link. Will definitely read up on it and let you guys know once I have a chance to take a look at the truck.

Thanks guys!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
blagan

Thanks

Last edited by blagan; 03-02-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Front end squeeking driving me insane