2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front end squeeking driving me insane

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
GearHead_318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end squeeking driving me insane

3 days ago after a bit of a cold snap, my 97' 5.2 Dakota (has 118K miles) started squeaking like crazy whenever I drive over anything thats less then totally smooth or when I turn the wheel at slow speed, say under 10-15 mph. I understand that when it gets colder stuff contracts, which could cause some squeaking but I don't remember it being this pronounced, and it isn't getting that cold, maybe 40 degrees Fahrenheit down from 80 something a few days ago. (thats 4.4 to 26.8 degrees Celsius if your into that)

I was thinking that the engine heating everything in the front suspension/steering column area would get it to stop once it gets hot but I'm not noticing a difference after it worms up.

This is kind of a noob question, but can I just spray a bunch of WD40 in the suspension area to stop the noise or would I need to use a different weight of oil?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know you could probably spray a bunch of wd on your control arm bushings and what not and it MIGHT go away, but not for long. If there is a squek, something is worn and needs to be taken care of. There are quite a few things that can squek in the front end. Control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar bushings, or tie rod ends. It can sometime be tough determining which ones are the culperate.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T spray with WD! Mineral oils and rubber don't mix. It might stop the queaking for a while but it will eventually rot your bushes.

If you want to try spraying, try a silicon based lube. ArmourAll has a high silicon content and SOMETIMES works.

I tried it but it didn't do anything. I eventually fitted a Protheyn? polyurathene bush kit to the whole front end. It cured it.....for a while! Its now started squeaking again.

I know how annoying it is. Does anyone have a cure?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
midget-farms
Professional

My wife's Volvo had a rattle in the front end - I took it to the dealer & for just $2500 they fixed it!

You could always take that approach!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a squeak issue similar to yours, turned out to be a worn ball joint. Bumps squeaks are normally bad ball joints, if it doesn't occur when you turn the steering back and forth.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:26 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by midget-farms
My wife's Volvo had a rattle in the front end - I took it to the dealer & for just $2500 they fixed it!

For that price I hoped they replaced the whole front end. Hell if it was me I would never pay that I would let my front end fall off then I would do a sas before I pay that.

Oh to the OP try some white lithium grease we used to use it at work all the time seemed to work a long time.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 PM
GearHead_318

I drowned the suspension in WD40 which lessoned the noise, then I played some Slayer and turned up the volume, and that pretty much toke care of the problem.

Actually, the weather got wormer and the noise totally went away, but I know I'm going to need new bushings

Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 PM
GearHead_318

Originally Posted by midget-farms

A few years ago my grandpa took his 240 to get something done and ended up having $1700 of repairs done to the front suspension, I don't think the car its self is worth much more then that.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Tarmac Terrorist

I have a squeak coming from my suspension as well... It is coming from the drivers side, noticed the noise somewhere between the cab and the box at first, now it is coming from the front end as well.
The truck also squeaks when I get in or out of it.
A friend told me it sounds like a Torsion Bar... my thought would be a bad bushing there... has anyone encountered something similar?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when my front end was squeaking it was the front sway bar bushings...basically its just the two that hang down in front since they get hit with all kinds of weather and road crap it dries them out. i replaced mine with poly and i have to grease them every few months. its worth a shot its only 2 or 4 bolts and you can get them off regrease them and throw them back on. if you have to take off the sway bar its a little harder because you need a 22mm deep socket i think it is which is not a size most people have.

Quick Reply: Front end squeeking driving me insane