2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Non dak ? 04 jeep grand cherokee tranny probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Non dak ? 04 jeep grand cherokee tranny probs

Well I have it posted on jeep forum(almost 3 days) no one seems to know. I need a solution fast my mom has been using my truck since she wont drive her jeep and im stuck driving a chevy HELP ASAP!!! lol
Here is my problem we have a 04 grand cherokee special 4.0 l6 4x4 96k This has been a awesome jeep so far the only thing we have put into it since we bought it new was tires,brakes,oil changes,wipers and rear wiper motor thats it. Anyway we took it to florida which is a 1,200 mile trip one way it did great the whole way shifting great and getting its normal mpg then 12 miles from the hotel and I was on cruise and the exit was coming up so I tapped the brakes to cancel cruise and for some odd reason it down shifted I hit the gas it up shifted then as soon as I let off it down shifted. I had to slow to about 30 and then when I went to speed up I was doing 60 at 3,500 rpms and it wouldnt shift pulled over checked the fluid and it was good let it sit for a min and it was ok but the cel was on(1763). We did make it home but if you came to a complete stop then take off it was sluggish and I found out its not going to first or 2nd gear its taking off in 3rd. If you put it in 2 it will go there but if you put it in first nothing will happen. I know the code is voltage to high or it said internal transmission failure. My question is If I drop the pan and change the solenoid do you think that will solve my problem or should I just take it to the tranny shop down the road so we will know for sure if there is any real problem with it? My mom said just to sell it but I think its really a waste since this jeep is still in like new condition but it is pretty bad my trucks tranny is going we just bought a new one for the cj and now this one and our 95 jeep is on its second tranny actually needs rebulit now but its only my woods beater I think we have bad luck with trannys.

Last edited by dodgeramguy85; 11-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Pwall
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a shift solenoid

Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I just thought how it was weird how only 1st and 2nd would work now 1st and 2nd doesnt also the fact that it said "or internal tranny failure" I guess it cant hurt it anymore plus almost 100k and no fluid change has been done to it so I guess its time. Next three days have a high of 40 looks like im starting the coal furnace up in the garage

Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Pwall
Veteran

sunny and warm in Florida, but drop the pan take a look at the fluid, filter, the amount of shavings on the magnet and if it has bands check them and adjust them and while your at it you should change the t case fluid too

Old 11-04-2010, 12:46 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Yeah rub it in lol it was 87 when we left fl I was loving it but I look forward to winter so I can go drifting. anyway I figure while im working on it im going to change all the fluids. Ill do tcase,axles,engine and coolant.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Pwall
Veteran

yeah thats good, i want to go north this winter to play with the truck in the snow its been a while since ive used 4 wheel drive

Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

We had a blast last year. There was a couple times where the roads werent plowed so we are aloud to use atv's rhinos ect to get to town. I used my atv a lot last year Now that I have my woods beater Ill prob be getting into trouble with that too lol

This is last year we were only supposed to get 6 inch but we got 13-14in lucky we have a skid steer.

IMG_0072.jpg

Last edited by dodgeramguy85; 11-04-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Pwall
Veteran

damit i'm moving where i can use my toys with out getting harassed but i won't be able to ride the bike, i just can't win

Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Winter time is our time off to ride and not get harassed lol Well we still kinda do but when the roads are covered in the snow who can catch you lol and year riding a bike would be hard thats why I dont have one anymore I can take atv out anytime of the year.

Quick Reply: Non dak ? 04 jeep grand cherokee tranny probs