2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Add Acetone to gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011 | 02:55 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

well im just konna keep pumping 87 in my lil dak... b-12 and many others are great for a sludged up carb. i've used it for that. when i overhauled one out of my 85 ram i used a tooth brush with the b-12 and it cut right through the gunk.

long and short of it is this. change your filters on shedule on time. keep up with other maint. and open it up once in while. the high airflow and sudden temp change when you hold in second and let it pull down from high rpm is enough to take out alott of stuff.
at the worst you can use a spray bottle and water. the mist will help break up the crap in the chambers.
the only stuff i've ever put through my tank and had a result i was happy with was when i did a bg injector service on my old ranger. 330k on the clock never did much to it till then other than plugs and such.
the chemical whent in the tank. killed the pump and connected the system directly to mjy fuel rail.
after that i ran the combustion chamber cleaner through it.
it hardly ran till i got it on the highway and held it to the floor. once i got it to 6 grand inj second i let it cost down to 2 grand. it helped tremendously for the simple fact my engine was filthy. that's all there is to it.

Old 01-14-2011 | 02:57 PM
bpark8824
Champion

You made some really good points ramjam. I was also confused by his knowledge of fuel atomization. Adding that much acetone to your gasoline can't be good over time. Plus spending $28 to save $7 doesn't really makes sense. Even if you were saving $20 it's still not worth it. I don't know. I don't think there is any mircle product out there that will decrease your gas consumption by enough to pay for this mircle product. The best way to increase your gas milage (or even keep it where it was after the vehicles initial break in period) is to take care of the car/truck and treat it right.

Gas milage is no rocket science. If you regularly change your oil, plugs, run an injector cleaner every now and then, keep your tires inflated, air filter & fuel filter clean... ect ect.

You are never really going to INCREASE your gas milage past what it was after the intial break-in period. You can only PRESERVE it and try to keep it at what it was at. You can do minal things to increase it. An CAI might gain you .2 mpg, same with an exhaust, but you're not going to take a truck that gets 18-19 mpg and get 23 out of it.

At least that is my thought... correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-14-2011 | 03:26 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

So what would be better, SeaFoam or Lucus?
What about the injection cleaning service WalMart has? I know its WalMart, but I've heard it worked any thoughts before dropping 35bucks at wally world?

Old 01-14-2011 | 03:43 PM
thunder98110
Champion

i use seafoam. but its just personal preferance. i though the walmart thing they just put a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank. call and ask if they actually pull the injectors and clean them. i doubt they do. but who knows.

Old 01-14-2011 | 05:04 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Occasionally, I'll put acetone in my gas. About 3-4oz per 10 gallons. I do this every 3 or 4 tanks. I haven't had a chance to fill up in a while, but last time i calculated, before I started the acetone, I got 11.7 and 11.3mpg.

But a few days ago, I put in 16 gallons of gas, from almost bone dry. Then I went 190 miles and still had a bit less than a quarter tank left. But, I also changed to mobil 1 oil since I last checked. I don't think the acetone is hurting.

At any rate, I think you get some better WOT response while using it.

Old 01-14-2011 | 05:36 PM
DodgeLives
Amateur

We used to use model airplane fuel, but that was with carburated engines. also used a lot of av-gas but I doubt you could just walk into an airport and get it today.

Old 01-15-2011 | 01:32 AM
terencejiminy
Cool

Originally Posted by ramjamhemi
I don't want this to seem like I'm attacking you. I've read your other posts and you seem like a nice guy. I just see some holes in your science on this issue...
I think your approach to this issue scientifically needs to be improved for you to sell me on acetone working as well as you claim.
I think you changed too many things all at once to claim that it was the acetone that did it. Just changing out the mechanical parts and changing your driving style by itself is enough to see the increases in mpg that you claim.
Since you claim your mpg's have not changed for 3.5 years, I would like to see you stop using the acetone (and changing nothing else) for a couple of months and report those mpg figures as a comparison. I would also like to know average outside temperatures, and if you were burning summer or winter blend gas at the time you logged the data.
I also question your comment about your milage not changing for the last 3.5 years. My milage changes about 1-2 mpg with the change in summer to winter blend gasoline.
The only thing that makes some sense to me is that you are using 5oz of acetone per gallon of fuel. You will definately get an octane increase with that amount, but you are probably destroying the rubber components of your fuel system with that large of a ratio. Plus, if you read my previous post (#13) octane increase does not always result in an increase in hp or mpg, only if the engine can utilize it.
I'll use my Dak as an example for the following: if you add 5oz acetone per gallon of fuel, I would need to add 90oz for my 18 gallon tank. Thats 2.8 quarts of acetone for a fill up. I am finding quart size containers of acetone for about $10. So you are telling us that you are adding about $28 worth of acetone per tankful to get the milage increases you claim? So $28 in acetone gets me an additional 3mpg? well, 3mpg times 18 gallons = 54 extra miles I can travel. 54 miles divided by the 19 mpg my truck gets me 2.8 gallons of gas saved. 2.8 gallons times $2.80 per gallon of gas in my area = $7.84. So if I followed your example, I would spend $28 on acetone to save $7.84!
let me repeat the last statement: So if I followed your example, I would spend $28 on acetone to save $7.84!
Even if my price for acetone is high, acetone in a quart can would need to be $2.80 a can JUST TO BREAK EVEN. I don't think I'm that far off.
Something is really wrong here....
Please forgive my huge mistake. My age may be showing. (61).
That is 5oz per 10 Gallons not 1. AAGRRRGGGG!
SORRY! My records are pretty straight forward but in hoping I could get it all down and NOT make a mistake obviously failed.
Again that is 5 oz per 10 gallons - NOT 5 oz par 1 gallon.
The little $2.49 - 12 oz bottle of 100% Pure Acetone I buy at my corner CVS Pharmacy WOULD'NT go very far at that rate.
I did note though in my info that I started my trials of each vehicle just AFTER the tune up, oil change and airfilter which included clearing any faults, if any, before trying my NO ACETONE 2 week run.
The final numbers were after the 3rd tank full WITH Acetone. Those numbers have been pretty consistant, only losing a bit (up to 1 MPG) each winter here in Michigan.
And yes I tried 3 tank fulls without ANY additives, after 6 months, to secure my benchmark. MPG dropped back to the initial results except my Dakota which is a real Hi Miler. 198K. That figure dropped back to 10% ABOVE the original no additive test rate, but I believe that was due to a cleaner fuel system AND cleaner combustion chambers?
Thank You,
Terry (Embarassed as all hell!)
(Please also note the time of day I posted this. Long day, late hours, may have been another reason for such a monumental mistake.......)

Old 01-15-2011 | 08:40 AM
89newbie
Captain

I read the acetone thing on the web, that guy was saying 2 ounces/10. I tried it atfirst nothing then I read 4/10 I tried it. I also use three ounces injector cleaner, lucas, each fill. The Kero trick will work but on a badly sludged engine Im afraid. I do have a friend back in Pa.,LOL he is 96, has a 1949 ford ,his dads and a 56 ford his, that are like new. He is a believer. I have been changing oil filter every 1000 miles and cuttin em open. It is amaizing what is coming out. I also have been using engine restore. Both Trucks run much smoother, much less engine noise. Actually put my foot in 3.9 yesterday and it has made a diff. for it also. I really would like to start using the really good oil filters but buying a caseof filters is not dooable right now.

Old 01-15-2011 | 09:43 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Really good oil filters? Or the slightly better oil filters? My oil pressure is much better using mopar than fram filters.

Old 01-16-2011 | 08:32 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
Really good oil filters? Or the slightly better oil filters? My oil pressure is much better using mopar than fram filters.
I agree on that one using Mopar right now. There is a filter out there that removes more of the fine particles but you have to buy a case. Since work is slow I didnt pursue it further.

Quick Reply: Add Acetone to gasoline?