2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota SLT Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 PM
terencejiminy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Dakota SLT Loose Steering

New member with a problem.
I bought this truck 2 months ago. OO said that he thought the tie rod ends were bad and needed replacement. I did just that the next day. Sorrowfully the only ones available did NOT have grease zerks. All set? NOPE.
In the next week I purchases a used rack complete with oil cooler and pump since the donor truck only had just over 60K on it and mine has 198,000.
I had this installed at local Good Year store along with straighten the steering wheel and set the toe. OO had the recall ball joints replaced summer of '09 and a frt end alignment done then at the dealer.
After all this I have only corrected 1/2 the looseness in the steering wheel.
I have now found that the upper, of the 2 steering column shaft U/Joints, is loose/bad. There is only 1" of play in the wheel so I think I may have cought it in time?
I love this Burgandy Club Cab V-6 Dakota and waited a long time for one in the right color and OPS to come available.
Can this shaft be removed and just the U/Joints repaired or replaced or do I have to get a loan to get it replaced - with a NEW one?
I have raced Oval track and Drag Cars for over 40 years. I've replaced weak, or just cant cut it, RAG Joints and Ball and Trunion joints in steering with HD Industrial u/joints from Graingers for years.

Final killer in all this is I lost my job after 9 years on the 8th of Nov.
This truck may end up being our only transportation for a while.
Is there a bulliten from Mother Mopar to get this done under Warranty or Recall?
Thanks for ANY-ALL help.
Terry

Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM
1986JEEP
Professional

Go to your local dodge dealer and get them to check your vin# they can tell you if their is a recall for your truck. Their is no u-joints avable for it and i could not find a aftermarket one for my truck. Had to go to dealer to get it i payed $400 can. for mine. When you go to fix it be careful that you don't spin the steering wheele around and break the clockspring they are as much as the shaft.

1986 jeep

Old 12-03-2010, 05:19 PM
captainwisch
Default steering fix

I have a 2000 dakota sport. Last month my steering got very loose too. I brought it to a local garage and they got a new intermediate steering coupling/shaft with the 2 joints. parts and labor was just under $400.00. Steering is back to new with no play.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 PM
ra3formula

Originally Posted by 1986JEEP
Go to your local dodge dealer and get them to check your vin# they can tell you if their is a recall for your truck. Their is no u-joints avable for it and i could not find a aftermarket one for my truck. Had to go to dealer to get it i payed $400 can. for mine. When you go to fix it be careful that you don't spin the steering wheele around and break the clockspring they are as much as the shaft.

1986 jeep
um... so I am in the middle of replacing my rack, tie rod ends and the steering shaft. I have everything apart and I know the column has been spun a few revolutions, so what am I in for as far as the clock spring??

Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Brian2001
Rookie

i had the same problem. i picked up my shaft for $50 from a junk yard. beats the hell outta $400.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

RA, you need to recenter the clock spring.

1. Make sure the wheels are in the straight ahead position.
2. Remove the clock spring from the vehicle.
3. Depress the two auto locking tabs and hold.
4. Rotate the clock spring clockwise until it stops, don't force it.
5. Once it stops, rotate it counterclockwise about 2 1/2 turns and release the tabs. It'll lock in place.

The horn wire should be at the top, speed control, airbag, and radio control wires at the bottom.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota SLT Loose Steering