2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Click When Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
TUFF977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 97 Ram the O2 censor started leaking on it did not throw a code. I would have thought it would of but, it wasnt a large enough leak to cause it i guess but it would do the same thing almost like there was a monkey under my hood with a hammer tappin on my frame lol

Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its probably the one solenoid there this annoyed the **** out of me when I first got the truck but I dont notice it anymore. if you can locate it you can put your had on it and feel it switching its on the firewall.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 AM
United
Rookie

Originally Posted by TUFF977
I had a 97 Ram the O2 censor started leaking on it did not throw a code. I would have thought it would of but, it wasnt a large enough leak to cause it i guess but it would do the same thing almost like there was a monkey under my hood with a hammer tappin on my frame lol
Did that happen the whole time your truck was on or was it only under acceleration like mine?

dakota_raven:
My click sounds like its coming from directly behind the speedometer. Is that where yours is too?

Playmaker, I've heard elsewhere about it possibly being a solenoid. Do you happen to remember which one it was?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

that whole thing there is what it was for me put your hand on it and see if you can feel it ticking because you probably wont be able hear it with the motor on. i was tryin to point and take the pic with my phone at the same time so im not pointing to the exact thing in the pic.
2010-12-07_09-19-44_312.jpg

Old 12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
TUFF977

Originally Posted by United
Did that happen the whole time your truck was on or was it only under acceleration like mine?

dakota_raven:
My click sounds like its coming from directly behind the speedometer. Is that where yours is too?

Playmaker, I've heard elsewhere about it possibly being a solenoid. Do you happen to remember which one it was?
Yeah only under acceleration and when I would pull a load or a good sized hill it would seem to get louder finally. I found it by and (I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING THIS) power braking with the hood up so I could walk around and locate the sound outside the pickup. Like i said not the best thing to try if the pickup would have broke traction or had a brake failure I could have been run over. I'm sure you could put it on a rack and try the old feather trick along the welds of your exhaust to see if that is the problem.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
TUFF977

Theeplaymaker might be closer to right if it is a constant tick though. An exhaust leak usually speeds up a bit with the rpms not a steady tick.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TUFF977
Theeplaymaker might be closer to right if it is a constant tick though. An exhaust leak usually speeds up a bit with the rpms not a steady tick.
and/or goes away or gets less noticable...I know my exhaust is leaking somewhere behind the muffler and i've yet to weld it shut and while I can hear it when I first start it I can barely notice it if at all once its been run for a while.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

i dont think it's the same thing, but when I'm at part throttle, you can hear a bit of a tick/whoosh/whistle sound from the air running between the blades and the housing.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
United
Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys. And playmaker, thanks for going out and taking a picture of that solenoid. It looks cold, haha. I'm thinking its got to be something like that solenoid because the click is too consistent and steady for it to be something like an exhaust leak. I'll try to take a look at it before the end of the week and figure out exactly whats up.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

no problem hopefully you can figure it out and yes it was I woke up and we had 4 inches on the ground and it hasn't gotten over like 33 the past week.

Quick Reply: Click When Accelerating