2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

convertor lockup Q

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:20 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default convertor lockup Q

My FSM says the convertor only locks up in O/D. Why not in 3rd as well, like it does in OD-OFF mode?

Would it be possible to add in a SPDT switch to switch between the factory wire and a manual trigger wire? I assume the solenoid locks up when 12V is applied? What color is the wire of interest?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do beleive mine locks up with o/d off, if i count the shifts while o/d off, 1st,2nd,3rd then it 'slips' into another gear or tc lock up. on the freeway it will drop 300-400 rpm att 55mph when it 'slides into that lockup. just my $.02 worth. im gunna check it out again.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:39 PM
magnethead
Legend

in normal mode, it only locks up in 4th. in OD-off mode, it locks up in third and disables 4th. I'm wondering if I can tap the control wire, and make it lock up whenever I flip a switch.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
dakota98318
Location: Smoked headlights. Blacked out tails. Powdercoated rims. Cooper STT's. Cold air intake.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to tap into the b11 wire on the computer harness. if your looking at the computer from the drivers side its the left connecter. the b11 wire is orange with a black stripe. splice into that wire. run that wire to a switch and then ground the switch. it will lock up in any gear

Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by dakota98318
you have to tap into the b11 wire on the computer harness. if your looking at the computer from the drivers side its the left connecter. the b11 wire is orange with a black stripe. splice into that wire. run that wire to a switch and then ground the switch. it will lock up in any gear
will the brake light switch still unlock it for braking, I assume? Does it hurt to tap that wire straight to ground, or does the wire have voltage (which would cause a short) in normal mode?

I don't see a B11 coming out of the PCM in my haynes? The wire that haynes says or o/b is C2-11.

edit- found this http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque%20...p%20Switch.pdf

What I was plannign to do, was install a 5 pin relay, with the factory wire on 1 pin, the TCC solenoid on common, and ground on the 2nd pin. That way when I energize the coil, it locks up, when I don't energize it, it's in factory mode. Or will this make the computer throw an error? I was hoping to do it at the transmission end, that way it would be after all the electronics, and only control the solenoid directly.

I could probably use a DPDT relay, so that when I energize the coil, the solenoid is grounded and the factory wire goes to a dummy load (like a light) to keep the computer happy, otherwise the factory wire goes to the solenoid.

Last edited by magnethead; 12-11-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to make the gearbox start in the OD off setting? I prefer the OD off for most of my driving and it would be great if it could be modded to in effect have the switch reversed.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: convertor lockup Q