2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bought a dakota, horrible MPG.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramjamhemi
When gas hit $4 a gallon, I drove very easy. If I remember, my goal was to not get the tack past 2000 RPM! I have the 3.9/5 speed combo in my Dakota, so I would take it out of gear and let it coast for half a block before the next light (blocks are twice the length of normal block where I live). I also learned how to time the lights in my neighborhood, so I would typically not have to stop again after the 1st light I hit red. My combined city/highway miles were about 20 one way to work, and 5 of that was in the city. I set cruise control to 58 mph in a 65 zone when a lot of people were doing 70 or more. I would also let it coast downhill, and as soon as exiting the freeway. I would annoy other drivers at times, but I actually found it to be peaceful after getting used to it because I rarely had to pay attention because there were never any cars in front of me that were slower than me.

The big benefit was I typically got 19-20 mpg in the summer. Gas prices started going back down before the switch to winter gas, so I stopped checking my mileage.
You know, sometimes you can actually get WORSE gas milage if your lugging it around everywhere. If it's bogged down a lot you will be using more fuel then if you just shifted down and drove at a slightly higher rpm. If you are 1/2 throttle at 1400 rpms you will be using more gas then if you're only a 1/4 throttle at 1800rpms. I think a lot of people think the amount of gas they use is completely dependent on the rpm they are running but it's more about how much throttle you are using.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
You know, sometimes you can actually get WORSE gas milage if your lugging it around everywhere. If it's bogged down a lot you will be using more fuel then if you just shifted down and drove at a slightly higher rpm. If you are 1/2 throttle at 1400 rpms you will be using more gas then if you're only a 1/4 throttle at 1800rpms. I think a lot of people think the amount of gas they use is completely dependent on the rpm they are running but it's more about how much throttle you are using.
Thats why I'm wanting to install a vacuum guage in the cab...but holy !!!! are they expensive for a decent guage (i want vac only, not vac/boost combo) The Oreilly white face specials are cheap, but I was wanting a black face/green lamp (Autometer GS) and it's like $100 for a 2 1/16 guage...!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I should count myself as lucky then, I routinely get between 17 and 18.8 MPG. My best ever was 19.0 MPG but I got that when I went on an interstate trip to Tampa and back. I add a fuel additive at every fuel fill that helps increase my compression and keeps my fuel injectors and spark plugs clean. A very welcome side effect of the additive is I get about 1.5 more MPG with it.

I also have a 5 speed so I too like to coast up to red lights and stop signs. And I always drive very easy on the throttle, no matter what the price of gas might be. If gas gets up above $3.50 a gallon I will have to re-think my budget and probably buy less food to compensate for the price of gas. I read online it's predicted to stay around 3 bucks a gallon until about this time next year.

Jimmy

Old 12-12-2010, 07:55 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky I don't need to drive a whole lot being here at school. If I was commuting a lot I would probably sell the truck but I really don't drive a lot during the school year, definitly a lot more in the summer, but I'm working then so it's not as big of a deal.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 AM
hondaracin338
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats cool to see the mpg go down the colder the months lol

Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 PM
blown 346
Rookie

No other ideas before I call the dealer?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM
89newbie
Captain

Coil pack mis fire comment. If coil is weak but firing you can get a miss that the cpu wont pick up because the function actually took place. Had this situation on a ford (ugh) work van. Van ran fine in town but on interstate pulling hills(under load) it would misfire. Ford found nothing, cleaned MAF, although I had replaced a week earlier. Cost me a grand by the time they were done fn around and it still missed.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 346
No other ideas before I call the dealer?
You never told us the actual MPG...

Old 12-17-2010, 11:03 PM
blown 346
Rookie

Average is between 9 to 12MPG. My Big Block Chevy 496 Stroker gets 10 MPG. My little 4.7 is right at or below that.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 AM
blown 346
Rookie

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Coil pack mis fire comment. If coil is weak but firing you can get a miss that the cpu wont pick up because the function actually took place. Had this situation on a ford (ugh) work van. Van ran fine in town but on interstate pulling hills(under load) it would misfire. Ford found nothing, cleaned MAF, although I had replaced a week earlier. Cost me a grand by the time they were done fn around and it still missed.

I have had no issues around town or on the highway with any mis firing. Im not about to spend all that money on replacing coils to have the same issue and not know for sure if the coils are the problem. I have done diagnostics on the truck and its running just like it should. If the truck did have a weak signal to the coils one or more plugs would have different burn patterns and coloration. None of this has happend.

Quick Reply: Bought a dakota, horrible MPG.