2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ash tray bulb and so on

Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ash tray bulb and so on

So...Today I started checking out all the burnt out bulbs. I replaced the bulb in my ash tray, which was clearly broken, but the light still isn't coming on...is there some kind of procedure I'm missing here?

Also, what is the bulb code for the bulbs behind the ac/heater controls? I'm trying to get that switched to blue.

I noticed my 4x4 light doesn't come on in the cluster, and I checked the led (which is soldered) and it doesn't look fried...I wonder if something broke at the shifter? I also have a bulb to replace there (4wd low and Neutral doesn't light up).

I also took a look at the small bulb for the ignition ring. I'm assuming it's code is 37?

I think that's all there is, haha. I also replaced my headlamps since the high beams broke. Got nice Hella xenon. Nice n bright =)

Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Derek2002
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got a volt meter you could check and see if there is power to the bulb.As for the bulb codes I'm not sure but someone posted up a list of all the bulbs for our trucks a while back if you can find it.I cant remember what it was under.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Well it read zero. The light has never worked when I had it, but I never checked the bulb either. The filament is broken now that I have finally decided to look at it, so I'm assuming at one point it has worked.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:24 PM
00dakSport
All Star

i think abels had a thread with a list of bulbs when he did all his. did you get a different colored ash tray light? cause on mine its a yellow light with a green background. i like takeing the ashtray out at night to light up the console there and blue would look way better.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 00dakSport
i think abels had a thread with a list of bulbs when he did all his. did you get a different colored ash tray light? cause on mine its a yellow light with a green background. i like takeing the ashtray out at night to light up the console there and blue would look way better.
I saw that thread, I think that was the 2001+ models.

The bulb I got is the 161 cler bulb. The mount has a housing with a blue tint inserted, and I know it turns out green.

For the A/C controls, I think I might just do the same idea for the ashtray. Get some of that colored clear paper or something to change the output color.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Nevermind about the ashtray...I guess it needed some time, cuz apparently it's working now.

Right now I'm working on the transfer case indicator lights. It's hard to tell what the number is on the bulb, but it does look exactly like the one that came off the ignition ring, so I'm going to assume they're the same number. I guess the same goes with the AC/Heater panel. They're the same size, at least.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:45 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 4wd light doesnt work either i've learned to live with it.

Try this
http://www.modifiedlife.com/2001-dod...-size-diagram/

Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Yea, I just wonder why the light stopped working whenever I engaged 4wd. I'm guessing a wire got pinched at the lever.

I actually found out that 74 is pretty much the same. I ordered quite a bit of cool white bulbs...so It should look pretty sweet. I would have gone straight blue, but I think if I did that, it would end up being an intense blue, rather than bright blue. It appears to me the instrument indicators have a blue tint on them...hence why it would turn out green since the clear, stock bulbs shine yellow. Either way, it'll turn out sweet. I should have everything done sometime early-mid next week.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

the bulbs should be the same through out all the years, i know the ones behind that guages are the same, cause my buddy replaced them in his 01 ram with the extra bulbs i had

Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Well...I got the new leds. The only problem is I was off by a millimeter on the AC/Heater control panel, so that won't be done for a while. However, I did get the 4x4 shift indicators working. I also *fixed* the ignition ring light. Apparently it just was not working at all, so I rewired it to the parking light circuit. All is well =) Pics! More to come later this week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ash tray bulb and so on