2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Road1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Issue

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota V6 2wd. I have been following the scheduled "A"
maintenance listed in the Dodge Dakota manual. It states to change the transmission fluid at 100,000 miles. When i took the truck to dealer the service department advised not to have it flushed because the fluid looked dark or burned. They also were worried about just dropping the pan and doing a filter and pan fluid only change. They said it could hurt the transmission. Why would Dodge recommend a transmission fluid change at 100,000 miles with my driving conditions that match Schedule "A" in the manual? Would it be
fine to just drop the pan and replace just that fluid and change the filter?
I have had no problems with the transmission. Just want to get the fluid and filter changed. Only Schedule "B" of the owners manual states to change the
fluid and filter at every 32,000 miles. My driving conditions do not match that
schedule of the owners manual.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 PM
DodgeLives
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get a remote filter bracket at most parts houses. put it in the trans line from the radiator, use the same filter as for you motor. Then add a drain plug to the pan. Now I change trans fluid every time I change engine oil. it changes about 6 qts. at a time but since it gets changed so oftin it is always fresh and clean.

Quick Reply: Transmission Issue