2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

well this weekend went to do this fix on the gasket and got stepped dead in my tracks..

While doing the valve cover job.. i noticed a few rocker arms really loose.. durr me.. they were supposed to be.. nothing major.. but prompted me to do my own compression test...

Anyways.. looking through the spark plug holes with a LED mini mag.. I could clearly see carbon build up on top of pistion..

This could be the pre-detonation or whats 'throwing it off' making it feel like a miss and causing the trouble.

My brother recommended some stuff called Engine tune you get it at the Boats service they use it to clean the carbon out of intakes, valves and pistons..

Put this stuff in and it foams.. and eats at the carbon.. then run engine.. but you will need to change plugs after running it.. supposed to eat the carbon up..

I'm going to try this and see what happens.. maybe you guys having the same problem should look into this.. if you had carbon build up in your TB prolly have it in your heads and pistons too..

Might be the problem right here..

Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I think this is what hes talking about.. they use it at his shop to clear carbon off engines with out having to pull heads and such..

http://www.discountcleaningproducts...._0916&Click=65

Old 03-28-2011, 12:33 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I'm going to do this..

Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 AM
frydaddy82
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tryed sea foam? i used it when i first got my truck and barely got any smoke after and it says if you dont get any smoke then you dont have much build up.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by frydaddy82
have you tryed sea foam? i used it when i first got my truck and barely got any smoke after and it says if you dont get any smoke then you dont have much build up.
Yes tried several cans.. as well as Mystery oil and such. these products can work* for injectors and such but do NOT clean carbon build up.. unless you saturate the build up..

My brother works on jet skies boats.. v8 on boards and such and says they dont work except injectors and such.. and thats only after heavy use over long period of time* but also damage seals and such..

He says this is the only way short of pulling heads to clean it.. they do it all the time.. so i'm gonna try it and if it works let you guys know.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh i see. well let us know man i might try it my self

Old 03-28-2011, 03:52 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those additives dont do sh*t but hide problems . i would work hard on finding what it is. try unplugging the post 02 sensors and see how it runs . if it runs a lil betyter may have a clogged cat.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights
those additives dont do sh*t but hide problems . i would work hard on finding what it is. try unplugging the post 02 sensors and see how it runs . if it runs a lil betyter may have a clogged cat.
I agree with you on that.. most products really do not do anything.. simply mixing in the gas you figure 4 oz of w/e to 10-20+ gallons of gas.. well that is like taking theroflu mixed in a 3Gals of water and and drinking it over the course of a week and hope* it makes you better lol..

But I suppose i used the sea faom wrong I tried the whole down the tb approach but didn't do nothing.. and frankly it prolly wont do much for carbon build up..

These tuners and such.. BRP made by Evenrude is the stuff my brother was talking about.. the stuff I linked too is the same basic stuff..

My brother works at a dealership for boats and the alike and this is what they use to decarbon not only the intakes, manifolds by spraying it on like carb cleaner.. but also the chambers.. you spray it in untill the foam starts to come out.. then let it sit he says over night.. come back and put in some plugs you dont mind changing out.. run it.. once your done.. put your new plugs back in and your carbon should be gone*..

So I'm going to try it..

But I'm also going to change the CAT anyways.. I want to remove completely.. but eh.. gotta keep it legal i guess.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

magnaflow cats run 60-80 bucks lot better flow, which produced me better low end and a lil louder better sound too

Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights
magnaflow cats run 60-80 bucks lot better flow, which produced me better low end and a lil louder better sound too
Oh really? Cheap OE style at O'riely cost 129 and up.. I def. want to put a high flow cat on.. if they are that cheap then ^_^ Woot! I'll def. look into it after I do this Carbon treatment..

Went to my local boaters store and picked up two cans.. 12.50 a peice but we will see if it was worth it..

If it does not clean the carbon I'm going to knock the cans over my brothers head ROFL ^_^ time with this motor!!!!

Quick Reply: 97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help