2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM
mezerr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!

I have the EXACT same problem as you.

I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota
4.7L V8 HO
AWD
TRX4
20,000 miles
LSD

100% exact same problem. I don't have an engine miss. Just the rough rolling problem when driving very very slow (foot half on brake, half off brake)

The dealer says it's a normal accurance on these verhicles.
Another dealer says he has NO idea and is looking into it.

Lets keep this thread going, and I'll let you know of any updates I have.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:00 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks mezerr.. interesting.. the 4.7 has a different intake than the 5.2... very ineresting.. I'm about to the the gaskets and such.. as it seems my truck has lost significant power since I've had it..

Anyways.. will keep you posted.. I am doing the intake manifold plate fix along with going to replace my valve cover gaskets.. examine the valves spings and such like that.. oil drains make sure they are clear and draining properly.. and so on..

Clean/Polish the ports and such on the intake and the intake manifold it self.. get it real nice and shiny.. even going to do some hi temp painting.. make it all look nice..

Will let you know how it goes.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
mezerr
Professional

I personally think it's something in the transmission. If the engine is causing the problem, you'd see it fluctuate RPM's, and it would probably do it on idle as well.

I think it's something in the transmission.

What if you put the truck on a lift, get the tires off the ground, put it in gear, and reproduced the problem while someone was under the vehicle checking for the chatter. Maybe put their hand on the tranny and see if it's chattering, or the transfer case, etc, etc.

I'm sure it's something mechanical.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:35 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Actually it idles rough.. you can feel it.. almost like a slight miss.. some have suggested timing chain..

But have had timing checked and is spot on so the mech says..

The whole truck has a shimmy miss like feeling too it.. and the exhaust you can really hear it like it has a cam in it.. and the antenna bounces like mad..

and so on..

Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might have to get your bumpers rotated

Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran

or get new valve stems lol jk man. im gonna try and buy the int gaskets this weekend. if my funds are right. i plan on tearn this truck from one end of my yard to the other till i find this problem!!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 PM
mezerr
Professional

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Actually it idles rough.. you can feel it.. almost like a slight miss.. some have suggested timing chain..

But have had timing checked and is spot on so the mech says..

The whole truck has a shimmy miss like feeling too it.. and the exhaust you can really hear it like it has a cam in it.. and the antenna bounces like mad..

and so on..
Well. Maybe your truck has a miss and the stuttering problem. There is no miss on my truck.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah IDK what to think.. I'm going to do the upper end just to get it done.. do a nice clean job.. do the injectors while I'm in there get them nice and clean.. polish the ports up.. inspect the guides, springs, lifters and such.. see what this bad boy looks like.. hopefully not a broke spring or something like that.. hope what ever it is, is something simple and cheap.. already dropping 150 just in the what I'm going to do this weekend.. hope it fixes.. far cheaper than a rebuild..

IDK.. we shall see right..

And Fry... Good luck man hope you get around to it... but more so.. I hope ONE of us if not both gets this fixed.. so each other both and others knows wth is the problem and how to fix..

Old 03-25-2011, 03:58 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

just food for thought. i know you said the code went away after driving it for two days but have you ever actually had your computer scanned and then the codes cleared after?

also i have a 2003 4.7 and it has always from day one had a very slight rough idel then my mother inlaw bought a brand new 2008 4.7 ram that had the exact same very slight rough idel as i did from day one. i was told and under the impression that all the 4.7's do that for some unknown reason. i have cleaned everything and did tune ups and checked codes with my scanner alot before i decided to stop worring about a slight rough idle and just drive it. if it is something wrong it will eventually show it's self. ohh and no oil puddles in my intake, i checked that too. just a dodge with character.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:07 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

If your asking me I only had misifre number 7.. that was like one day.. and it went off on its own.. i did change plug wire and so on.. no codes since then..

Quick Reply: 97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help