2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine troublem/Starting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
ritualjman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine troublem/Starting trouble

hey guys,

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota, As i am having some kind of engine/ starting problem. Every time it snows, rains, etc i have problems starting the truck as i have to pull it in to my garage and put a heater on it to get it to start. as this has been a incovince more then once. i would like to know if ay one out there as had the sam,e problem with their truck and would be able to help me out with getting mine fixed as well.

Thanks
RitualJman

Old 01-11-2011, 11:32 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are your battery connections? When you try to start it does it click like a dead battery or is it just like nothing happens?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
ritualjman
Amateur

no, when i try and start it it cranks. it doesn't seem like it has any spark but then the odd time it will spit and spudder but not fire up. I am woundering that maybe water or some thing along those lines are getting in to my Disturitor. Could this be possible or could it be some thing else. It is not seting any code either what ever this problem is.

Thanks
RitualJman

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie

huh...a turbo on a 3.9. How much did that set you back? (not to get too far off topic)

Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ritualjman
no, when i try and start it it cranks. it doesn't seem like it has any spark but then the odd time it will spit and spudder but not fire up. I am woundering that maybe water or some thing along those lines are getting in to my Disturitor. Could this be possible or could it be some thing else. It is not seting any code either what ever this problem is.

Thanks
RitualJman
Can you hear the fuel pump turn on? The dist is close the the firewall so really the only way it can get wet is if you open the hood and water drips on it. The cause could also be a bad crank sensor.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
ritualjman
Amateur

Originally Posted by Motorbreath
huh...a turbo on a 3.9. How much did that set you back? (not to get too far off topic)

Mine was a Custom Kit it cost me about a grand. but i am still planning on a bunch more upgrade for my truck. i am not going to bust my bank tho. I was looking at a Supercharger as well.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie

Originally Posted by ritualjman
Mine was a Custom Kit it cost me about a grand. but i am still planning on a bunch more upgrade for my truck. i am not going to bust my bank tho. I was looking at a Supercharger as well.
that's awesome. a turbo or supercharger has always been in the back of my mind. how do you like it? how big is the turbo? how big is the improvement? Did you do anything to your block before the forced induction?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM
ritualjman
Amateur

Originally Posted by Motorbreath
that's awesome. a turbo or supercharger has always been in the back of my mind. how do you like it? how big is the turbo? how big is the improvement? Did you do anything to your block before the forced induction?
I put on the Cold Air Intake, i put on a new high performence head and new headers.

RitualJman

Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM
ritualjman
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Can you hear the fuel pump turn on? The dist is close the the firewall so really the only way it can get wet is if you open the hood and water drips on it. The cause could also be a bad crank sensor.
Yes i can hear the fuel pump kick in. Now is there away i can test the Crank Sensor or would i just have to stright up replace it?

Thanks
RitualJman

Quick Reply: Engine troublem/Starting trouble