2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

bleeding coolent system

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM
hypersmurf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding coolent system

i have a 2000 dodge dakota 4.7L V8, i dont have a allen wrench big enough to fit the coolent bleeder screw, i was told to take the heater core hose off at the highest point and pour antifreeze in the radiator till it comes out the hose. does the truck have to be running for this to work?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie

no..you do not want the truck running. If it is running, the water pump is pressurizing the system, so if you remove that hose, watch out, you'll get a geyser of anti-freeze . I always bleed my system by starting my truck with engine cold, then take off coolant pressure cap, top off the fluid, wait for thermostat to open, keep topping off at the cap until bubbles stop and fluid starts to rise. Cap it off, and your good to go.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
hypersmurf

only problem is the battery is dead and needs to be jumped, i got someone comeing over to jump it but i want to have it at least mostly bled before they get here, so wld just pouring antifreeze in till it comes out of the hose work?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I do the same have done many rad changes and never had a problem with air pocket I would fill it up as much as I could drive it around then let it cool off and add more fluid until the level stayed the same.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
hypersmurf

but wont the pressure cap being off while running have the same gyser effect

Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypersmurf
but wont the pressure cap being off while running have the same gyser effect
no, the cap and thermostat are on the inlet end of the water pump, not the outlet; so when thermostat opens, the water pump will be sucking fluid past the cap. You do have to worry about the fluid coming out as the engine warms up, you will be able to see it rise as the engine warms, and it rises slowly. I usually have a rag in hand and will soak fluid up as it rises until I am sure the system is purged.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

No you will be fine. This is what I do when I did the heater core pour coolent in till its up to the top then I squeez the top hose coming from the engine so that way it sucks coolent into the engine and I top it off till it stays full then drive around let it cool for 20 min then check the rad again and make sure its full

Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
hypersmurf

could someone explain to me in steps like they r teaching a retard how to bleed it with the pressure cap....i have never done thiss before

Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie

here are a few links that can help you out:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5005108_purg...ng-system.html

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...ng_system.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/1272246

...but might I suggest picking up a Haynes or Clymer manual for your truck, all this is described in detail with pictures. A must have if you plan on doing your own maintenance.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Ok you can just do motorbreath's way. All you do is take the cap off and start it wait around and add coolent as it gets low. My way is take off the cap fill till its too the top then find the big black hose going into the rad squeez it about 10 times and repeat that untill the level doesnt go down. Then take the truck for a drive till its up up to temp come home let it sit for about 20 min then recheck the level if you cant see any when the cap is off add coolent squeez the big hose couple times till the coolent level stays the same and you should be fine check it again one last time about 50 miles later

Quick Reply: bleeding coolent system