2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Please help diagnose...dakota just died and wont start,and boss is pissed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:43 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my 3.9 blow a head gasket. My reservoir was overfull while my radiator was empty. Heads weren't warped but I never let it overheat. Oil was milky. You should see excessive steam from the tail pipe.

It is a long repair, not terribly hard, just time consuming. I'd say my first time would have taken me 2 days, now I could do it in less than one.

I had no visible leaks outside the engine, everything was contained inside a piston. Worst thing you can do right now is start the engine with a cylinder full of fluid. The best way to check on the side of the road, if you have anything left in the truck, is to pull the spark plugs, crank the engine, and see if coolant squirts from a cylinder.

From your description, I'd say you have a blown head gasket.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
DakMan6704
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yea, where are you located?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
bog_72
Red face

Originally Posted by dbilik
I had my 3.9 blow a head gasket. My reservoir was overfull while my radiator was empty. Heads weren't warped but I never let it overheat. Oil was milky. You should see excessive steam from the tail pipe.

It is a long repair, not terribly hard, just time consuming. I'd say my first time would have taken me 2 days, now I could do it in less than one.

I had no visible leaks outside the engine, everything was contained inside a piston. Worst thing you can do right now is start the engine with a cylinder full of fluid. The best way to check on the side of the road, if you have anything left in the truck, is to pull the spark plugs, crank the engine, and see if coolant squirts from a cylinder.

From your description, I'd say you have a blown head gasket.
Hey dak im in Wisconsin...

Hey DB ,and everyone,I ran down to check it out and there was no milky discoloration in the oil...so that got me wondering if I may be able to at least get it home,and it started right up.

How in the hell do I sit there for a half hour,trying every five minutes or so to start it and nothing...then a few hours later it starts right up?
Anyway I took it home and just as I pull in the belt stops chirping almost completely.This thing was loud before,and it suddenly calmed down,then came back right before I shut it down.Waited a few minutes,tried to turn it over again,and nothing...no fire.

I got out to check for leaks,seen the radiator was still full,but there was indeed a steady drip coming from the bottom pulley of the serpentine belt ...lol that shows my knowledge of where everything is on that belt system...but the one directly at the bottom.It dripped about every 5 seconds,it was green so couldnt have been snow melting.

heres a picture from the ground lookin up at it.Took it with a camcorder so may be hard to see.Its the tiny yellow looking spot a couple inches behind the belt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
026.jpg (92.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well if it is your headgasket buy BARS headgasket fix. its about 30 bucks a bottle but thats what i got in mine now. ive been running leak free for about a month till i fix it this weekend.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
bog_72

I just noticed theres two yellowish drips in that picture...but its coming from the less yellow,almost brown looking one to the right

Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would dry everything off and then get it started and see if you can spot where its coming from. but if its coming out behind the crank pully it could be your crank seal.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
zanethan
Veteran

I'm betting water pump then. The water pump is directly above the crank pulley so it can look like it's coming from there. A faulty pum would also explain the issues with it overheating and the heater cutting on and off. A new one runs about $300 and then labor if you don't do it yourself but it isn't too hard of a job if you ask me about 6 hours or so.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:19 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm betting water pump too, for the leak. Not saying he didn't blow a head gasket from running it low on coolant but start with the obvious.

A few drops of antifreeze will go everywhere. Check the weep hole on the pump.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 PM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water-Pump.
Stop driving the poor thing around until
ya fix it.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
DakMan6704
Captain

Wierd, I kinda called it....ha! at least Im not crazy. My dad taught me something useful! anyway, yea....get it fixed before you kill the poor girl...

Quick Reply: Please help diagnose...dakota just died and wont start,and boss is pissed