2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Please help diagnose...dakota just died and wont start,and boss is pissed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM
bog_72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help diagnose...dakota just died and wont start,and boss is pissed

died at an intersection so it was running...drivable,then died.Heres the issues leading up to it...

Recently started "chirping" pretty loudly from the serpentine belt area.Followed shortly after with my temperature guage slowly topping out till the check engine light would come on...heat would simultaniously cut out,then slowly the needle would go back down,heat would kick back on...would do this every five miles or so on the way to work.Checked the fluids and the anti-freeze in the radiator was empty.Just winterized it a couple months ago so this was odd.Filled it again,but didnt stop the problem.

I know this is alot of stuff to put off,was waiting for payday(every other week)and this all came at me like an avalanche.

Anyway,started up fine today,got to the first stop sign and it died then and there.Tried to restart it,acted like it wanted to but no fire at all.Battery is tip top.Pushed it back to the side of the street and only light on was the actual image of the engine.Checked the radiator and was empty again.Filled it again with fluids and it didnt help at all.(Oh and it had plenty of gas).

I dont know much about these trucks,got it from my brother recently when he got a mini van and it hasnt needed any maintenance.Miles are at about 145,000.

Any help would be apreciated,dont work for the kind of place that will give you a week to get things straightened out.Thanks ahead for any help.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
zanethan
Veteran

Sounds like a head gasket problem to me. Assuming you didn't notice any leaks under the truck.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
bog_72

Originally Posted by zanethan
Sounds like a head gasket problem to me. Assuming you didn't notice any leaks under the truck.
No I never noticed and fluids under the truck

Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i didnt notice any leak under the truck when my headgasket blew, it was dripping on the header and smoke show under the hood.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM
bog_72

Originally Posted by thunder98110
i didnt notice any leak under the truck when my headgasket blew, it was dripping on the header and smoke show under the hood.

Yea its been so cold here lately that I guess I wouldnt have noticed a small amount of smoke from the engine,when the exhaust smoke is so much thicker in the cold...

Thanks guys,im looking into having it towed and getting an estimate on having the gasket replaced.

What do you think is a fair price for this work with labor?I seen the head gaskets go from 12 to 40 bucks per side...so id asume under 100 for parts,but how long would something like this take labor wise?

Thanks again

Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your looking at about 3grand for it. i bought parts for about 160: gasket, headbolts, hylomar spray, injector orings, heagasket stop leak.
heres what mine looks like.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
DakMan6704
Captain

Price and time are all subjective unfourtunately. I am of no use on this as I do everything myself.

Also, pull your dipstick. there is often antifreeze in your oil, pending where the blowout is in your gasket. Could be a tell-tale.

If the 'chirp' was from your belt, I thought your waterpump may be siezed and you have a leak from the pump, but no drips point more away from that idea. Good luck

Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What year and engine are you talking about Bog? I don't see it.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM
BigOx

Check Oil if its Milky than could be heads Which means warped possibly

Old 02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
bog_72

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
What year and engine are you talking about Bog? I don't see it.
Sorry I should have added that,its the v6 3.9

its parked like ten blocks away,so ill have to hike it and check the oil.I pulled the stick when it happened but more of a quick peek to see if it was dry

ill also give it a better look for leaks,I just never noticed any before...but with all the snow and cold I cant honestly say I get out and check regularly either.

Thanks again everyone...ill run and check,wife has the camera too or id take some pics.

Quick Reply: Please help diagnose...dakota just died and wont start,and boss is pissed