2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

truck rolling in park and reverse with brake on

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011 | 01:43 PM
dunaprop
|
Unhappy truck rolling in park and reverse with brake on

I have a 2000 dogde dakota auto...trucks seems to be rolling when in reverse and foot brake is on.....also when in park and truck is on slight hill...emgy brake does not help....any thoughts on this....seems to be alot of problems from 2000-2005 trucks with this happening...took it to my guy and he could find nothing titghtened linkkage said tranny was good...seems to come and go..Trans range selector??

Old 02-12-2011 | 06:23 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

If the truck rolls then the parking brake sprag is probably gone. It's a common problem.

For the brakes first try adjusting the rears brakes. You'll be surprised how far out they might be and you never notice.

Old 02-12-2011 | 08:09 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

Ditto

Old 02-13-2011 | 11:29 AM
2001DodgeMan
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
If the truck rolls then the parking brake sprag is probably gone. It's a common problem.

For the brakes first try adjusting the rears brakes. You'll be surprised how far out they might be and you never notice.
Since I've never checked mine,how would you know how to adjust(what would I look for?) Are there any pics showing this?

Old 02-13-2011 | 12:12 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

Hmm.. Emergency foot break, my dakota has none. I'm going to take it of my truck when I get back from schoool. It never worked from the get go when i bought it, not a real concern to me as I never use it.

Old 02-13-2011 | 12:28 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 2001DodgeMan
Since I've never checked mine,how would you know how to adjust(what would I look for?) Are there any pics showing this?
You may want to start by checking the back brakes. Pull the drum off and get a good look at them, and note how the self adjusters work.

To adjust the brakes:

1. Jack and support the rear on both sides.
2. Remove the rubber plugs on the bottom of the backing plate.
3. Using a brake adjusting tool engage the teeth on the self adjuster then move the handle upward. The tool pivots on the edge of the hole and moves the star wheel downward - tightening the brakes.
4. Stop when you can feel light drag when rotating the wheel.
5. Using a small screwdriver in the same hole, hold the self adjusting lever away from the star wheel.
6. Using the brake adjusting tool, engage the star wheel and move the handle downward. This will move the star wheel up and loosen the brakes, remove the drag.
7. Repeat on the other side.
8. Reinstall the rubber plugs.
9. Drive the truck forward and stop hard, then drive backward and stop hard. Repeat this 8-10 times. It will make the self-adjusters work. Really stand on the brakes hard to do this.

You should feel the brake pedal come up when you do this if they were out of adjustment.

Old 02-13-2011 | 12:30 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

Originally Posted by fourpointseven
Hmm.. Emergency foot break, my dakota has none. I'm going to take it of my truck when I get back from schoool. It never worked from the get go when i bought it, not a real concern to me as I never use it.
In Massachusetts, home of "we know what is good for you and you don't", my truck wouldn't pass inspection if it didn't work.

Quick Reply: truck rolling in park and reverse with brake on