2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Good deal at Advance

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I usually get it at walmart but our walmart doesn't carry durablend (which is what I think you meant by synblend) or any other synthetic blend...

Jimmy, I heard Fram makes a lot of the Mopar filters... that's why I don't buy them, but I guess they don't anymore?
See i've heard purolator make mopar filters even if fram makes them oh well. My jeep has no problem with frams 216k later lol

Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well to be honest with you.. it was Ford SynBlend they sell.. I trust MotorCraft parts.. but never used their oil product.. not sure who actually makes it..

Anyways.. I used it in the the Taurus FFV, and it started clattering like a pair of tins cans.. 2,000 miles I drained and it looked like something that came out the bottom of my bbq pit.. changed the oil and the clattering instantly went away... AN dI will tell you this.. every oil change since using castrol has came out dark.. but nothing like that SynBlend came out looking like..

Her other car was a hundai.. LOL.. damn kia product.. any ways it blew a ring.. and the motor was in faily decent condition.. no prior clanking, clattering nothing.. never burned oil.. it ran like a top.. it was a little 4 banger..

TO be perfectly honest.. there were no real tell tell sighns of a problem at all.. just one day while driving it started this annoying pinging sound.. and then this puff of smoke came out the tail pipe and started smoking... and started running like a lawn mower.. poom poom poom.. Meckanic at the dealership said it was a blown ring.. said 2 of the cylinders were gone.. and the other 2 about to go..

we changed the oil pretty regularly along with the filter.. so IDK>>

I know this.. it made the Taurus clatter.. as soon as I drained the oil at 2k miles and put regular oil back in.. it stopped clattering.. and it was the same 2 5Qt oil jugs i used in both.. as the hundai used a little more oil than the Taurus did.

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Some synthetic blends are because they contain only 5% synthetic but it depends on the brand. I'm still trying to figure out how much Castrol Synblend is. I've hear 20%, 30% and 5%. I hoping for 20 but you never know.

The thing is, it is better than conventional if only by a marginally effect. Therefore your problem would have occurred either way IMO. What brand were you using? Is there ANY evidence what so ever your wife's car stopped running because of the oil? I can almost guarantee that the oil was not the case. Engines don't just stop running because they don't like the oil in them. How many changes did you run it for in your wife's car and how many miles were on it? There is a lot more to it then just the oil.

Not trying to get on your case, just trying to figure out what went wrong.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Time 2 Merc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be nice to spend only that much! Thats a great deal, i bought 5 quarts of mobile 1 syth and a ****ty napa filter (thats all they had) and it costed me 55 and some change.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Time 2 Merc
Must be nice to spend only that much! Thats a great deal, i bought 5 quarts of mobile 1 syth and a ****ty napa filter (thats all they had) and it costed me 55 and some change.
WHAT! I spend that much on a case of oil and 2 filters!!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Well to be honest with you.. it was Ford SynBlend they sell.. I trust MotorCraft parts.. but never used their oil product.. not sure who actually makes it..

Anyways.. I used it in the the Taurus FFV, and it started clattering like a pair of tins cans.. 2,000 miles I drained and it looked like something that came out the bottom of my bbq pit.. changed the oil and the clattering instantly went away... AN dI will tell you this.. every oil change since using castrol has came out dark.. but nothing like that SynBlend came out looking like..

Her other car was a hundai.. LOL.. damn kia product.. any ways it blew a ring.. and the motor was in faily decent condition.. no prior clanking, clattering nothing.. never burned oil.. it ran like a top.. it was a little 4 banger..

TO be perfectly honest.. there were no real tell tell sighns of a problem at all.. just one day while driving it started this annoying pinging sound.. and then this puff of smoke came out the tail pipe and started smoking... and started running like a lawn mower.. poom poom poom.. Meckanic at the dealership said it was a blown ring.. said 2 of the cylinders were gone.. and the other 2 about to go..

we changed the oil pretty regularly along with the filter.. so IDK>>

I know this.. it made the Taurus clatter.. as soon as I drained the oil at 2k miles and put regular oil back in.. it stopped clattering.. and it was the same 2 5Qt oil jugs i used in both.. as the hundai used a little more oil than the Taurus did.
Hmm, don't know what to tell ya. My girlfriends father has an 06 F-150 and has been running Motorcraft synthetic blend in it since day 1, now has 180k miles on it and still runs perfect. Not sure why you had a problem. Kinda weird. Napa filters are actually really good filters, made by WIX, so you lost nothing there.

And Merc holy crap, guessing since you live in AK everything is more expensive since it has to be shipped up there. Kinda funny seeing you guys have all the oil lol.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Time 2 Merc
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
WHAT! I spend that much on a case of oil and 2 filters!!

Yeah tell me about it, and the thing is I have no other options. Im stationed in Cordova, AK for two years and we have like 5 stores. One being napa. 1 gallon of some milk i've never heard of goes for 6 bucks. Cinnamon Toast crunch was 10 dollars at one point. This place is ridiculous.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Time 2 Merc
Yeah tell me about it, and the thing is I have no other options. Im stationed in Cordova, AK for two years and we have like 5 stores. One being napa. 1 gallon of some milk i've never heard of goes for 6 bucks. Cinnamon Toast crunch was 10 dollars at one point. This place is ridiculous.
Yeah if that happens im takin my tools and guns to the mountain building a little cabin and ill shoot my own food lol

Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 PM
blown 346
Rookie

They run an oil special every month, just with different brand oils.

Same prices just differnt brands.

Quick Reply: Good deal at Advance