2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4x4 knocking only when engaged..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Time 2 Merc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 knocking only when engaged..

This issue just started about 1 1/2 weeks ago and I need four wheel drive being stationed up here in Alaska. Im also in a remote area without access to any shops or any retail stores. Only stores i really have access to is an AC's and a NAPA. Thank god for that at least.
Anyways here is my issue. I get a rattling/ knocking when i switch to 4x4 in high or low and accelerate. I've seen online that it might be an outer cv joint or a u joint. If i do take my front end apart with the help of a worker, how do i know if the outer cv joints are bad? Or the u- joint? Will they be broken. I had someone suggest that the spider gear might be messed up but i doubt that's it. Im just really hoping my transfer case isnt gone. I have no trouble switching in and out of 4x4.

Any ideas guys, cant leave my wife in a trucks whos 4x4 is messed up while im out on the boat. Also im new to working on trucks and can do it, its just my terminology isnt there as in I cant point and tell you what everything is.

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM
dakoman859

are you sure it aint the transfer case chain the dakotas have a habbit of the chain stretchin and getting bad does it feel kinda like its slippin wen there is pressure on it

Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id guess a u-joint or halfshaft...probably something along those lines

Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Time 2 Merc
Professional

Ok so i've been a little busy as of late, but i finally got the chance to get under there and feel around.

Question is, is the cv joint supposed to have any give what so ever. I'm laying under there and pushing up and down and it is moving slightly.

Second question- I don't know what its called but it's the shaft that runs along the tranny and into what I'm guessing is the transfer case. I can rotate it somewhat and sounds kind of like the sound it makes in four wheel drive. Is that supposed to do that? The u joint looks fine if that helps.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

same exact thing happened to me. its the front drive shaft. the ujoint is toast. ebay will get you one for 250bucks. easy to remove and install. just 10 bolts.

search for my thread "4x4 and driveshaft experts"

Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Time 2 Merc
Professional

I actually saw that post about 2-3 weeks ago when i was looking for someone having my problem. Thing is with that post, you ended up just yanking it out and using the money you were gonna spend to fix it and spent it on more mods...lol... so that left me hanging with no result.

So the front drive shaft shouldnt have any play at all? And the u joint looks fine. I could take a picture of it and let you see.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

haha yes that is true. did you see the photos i posted on that? the cj joint was nasty, dirt and grime in there. i guess you can still drive with it not sure if it will damage anything other than just being loud.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Time 2 Merc
Professional

P2261740.jpg

P2261733.jpg

P2261734.jpg

P2261738.jpg

P2261735.jpg

So here are the pictures I just took. U joint looks fine but the last pic looks kind of bad. Does that only turn in 4x4? I need to narrow this down as its only affecting me in 4x4.
Also I was under there pulling myself out and the truck starts rolling on me. Guess i forgot to but it in gear and put the e-brake on. As it was rolling, the front drive shaft was moving, so would that narrow it down to not being the cause of the knocking?
And the cv joint boots look fine, what do you think?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:27 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

I have a '99, but I think the cv shafts are the same...

Anyhow, my passenger side was bad...with the tire lifted, in neutral, when you spun the wheel you could hear it clunking around and it was not rotating smoothly...I mean the boot rotated with almost like a wobble, like the joint was not flexing in a certain direction properly...don't know if that makes sense, but if you saw it you would know it was wrong - almost like the joint itself was catching if you will...the driver's side, which made no noise when I did this, and spun in a nice uniform circle, was not bad...I changed it anyhow since I had the part...

I actually think I have the same noise as you do now...

Different transfer case, but I am pretty sure that has something to do with my noise...

Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 AM
dodgeguy31

ok so here is the deal. usually if you hear clicking, it is probably a bad u-joint. If you hear rumbling/grinding and/or feel vibrations then it is probably a bad cv joint. You do have to try to narrow it down to where the noise is coming from (the front left or right, or maybe from below you as you are driving). Based on the pictures you posted, pictures 3 and 5 show the same part, which by the looks of it is your front driveshaft (NOT the cv axle shaft in pic 4) that connects your transfer case to your front axles. What I am seeing is that the cv joint (the joint on the transfer case connected to the front driveshaft) is bad. It looks like the rubber boot that is supposed to be there to protect the joint is not there, or it cant be seen. So most likely the cv joint is completely worn and needs to be replaced.
pictures 1 and 2 show the u-joint (I'm assuming on the front driveshaft at other end) and it looks good. Picture 4 is your axle shaft at the wheel which looks fine, no apparent wear on it.
I would say that you should take the cv joint appart because that looks like what is causing your problem. By taking it apart you will find out more about what parts will need to be changed. Hopefully it's just the cv joint. Usually if enough grinding occurs you may also have to change the driveshaft and it will be an expensive fix if so.
The assembly of the cv joint can be a bit tricky so you can send a message for assistance. By the way, you will have a tough time finding replacement parts up there, you may have to have them shipped.

**Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion (I am not a certified/trained mechanic), just personal experience. I have serviced vehicles, with what sounds to be the same issue you are having, and that has been the fix to the problem.

Quick Reply: 4x4 knocking only when engaged..