2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would change the flat filter again and see what happens. If the pump is not getting fluid it sounds like what I mentioned happened to my daughters Dakota with the filter separating and not allowing it to get enough fluid into the tranny. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd even consider putting the original filters back in just to know it was right at this point.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
jrossjr79

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
I think I would change the flat filter again and see what happens. If the pump is not getting fluid it sounds like what I mentioned happened to my daughters Dakota with the filter separating and not allowing it to get enough fluid into the tranny. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
It is what I plan to do this weekend, or maybe next. Buying the tranny fluid twice got expensive. So once I get paid I am going to buy a funnel with a screen and another drain tub (the one I been using is dirty) and buy a new set of fliters from NAPA instead of autozone.

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
I'd even consider putting the original filters back in just to know it was right at this point.
I would, however trash pickup already came, so there goes the original filters .

Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

How about the dealer for the filters. They're not that much, cheap insurance at this point. Just to make sure I had the right ones.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

I would strain and reuse as much of the new fluid as possible that you have in there . I have a large rectangular plastic pan I use to drain my fluid, covers all the tranny.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

At least you can reuse some of the fluid. I hit a dog that ran in front of me on ice and ran my radiator into my fan. Dog disappeared of course. After replacing the radiator I backed the truck out of the garage about 11 P.M. for a short run around the country mile and didn't know I had a cracked a fitting on my tranny fluid cooler. I didn't make it back home, about 15 degrees outside with no coat, no cell phone. What fun, then had to make a midnight run to try to find more fluid, and had to replace the tranny cooler which meant I had to remove the radiator again.

It definately sucks having these kind of problems, good luck.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Rustbelt Quad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar problem with my Dakota. But mine would eventually move if I rev'ed it up. A tranny shop that was highly recommended put new filters in from the Dealership. Took care of the problem. The guy at the shop said that someone had told him that the check valves in some of the aftermarket filters didn't seal all the time.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
jrossjr79

Thank you all very much for your replies. I am really thinking, (as all of yall suggested) that it is the filters. So I called the closet Chrysler Dealer to me. The Pancake filter (most likely the cause of this all) is $35 and the other filter (the one that looks like an engine oil filter) is $17.20. Now question is, Since both the filters have been replaced already with aftermarket filters from AutoZone, should I replace both filters again, or the one I suspect is the culprit, the pancaked one?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
413maxwedge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do them both if you replaced both,and reset your computor also.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by jrossjr79
Now question is, Since both the filters have been replaced already with aftermarket filters from AutoZone, should I replace both filters again, or the one I suspect is the culprit, the pancaked one?
Do them both. You don't want to have to open this up again.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.