2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM
jlampitt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire recommendation?

I feel like I'm opening up a can of worms posting this topic, but I'm really curious about the various opinions out there.

Ok, so, I've got a great truck (as we all know and love) and *mostly* do highway driving. I have very specific winter tires that I put on in October/November and take off in late April/early May. (Firestone WinterForce. It's like putting tank treads on your 4x4 when it comes to snow!!)

So for late spring -> late fall driving, I'm looking for a LT tire that will get me around town, back and forth to work, etc without sucking up all my gas but also one that will perform fairly well off-road.

My off-road driving consists mostly of the old mining access roads and mid-level jeep trails criss-crossing the Front Range here in Colorado. I don't get too gnarly but I have encountered everything from steep climbs on soft, decomposed granite surfaces to descents on loose shale (that'll get your attention!!).

I've been running the all-to-well-known BFG A/T KO. Damn good tire of course, but also pretty darn expensive these days and I'm not sure my ratio of highway to off-road driving warrants such a tire.

All right... I'm gonna step back and see what happens! Thanks in advance for your opinions!

JL

Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...&typ=Truck/SUV

these things are awesome. great tread design they have almost zero road noise, wear extremely evenly, and have great traction in all weather and terrain, i have had them on my truck this whole winter (i live in colorado) and we have seen some big snow and they are unstoppable, plus i take trips into the mountains and these things shine off road, obviously not as well as a mud terrain, but thats because its an all terrain, and they are cheaper than BFG A/T's

Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran

plus they come in a ton of sizes that work on our trucks

Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I love my bfg a/t's I got 32/1150/15 brand new for 610 shipped to my door. Every place around me wanted 185.00 for same tire but only in a 31 for a 32 they wanted 200.00! Nitto terra grappler is a good tire couple of people have them on here. Lots of options out there just depends what you want to spend. I see about the same mpg with my 32's as I did with my bald 31's

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
jlampitt
Professional

Thanks guys, I'll check these out.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
ryan_brown33
Veteran

you live in littleton man?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan_brown33
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/hankook/product/byName.do?r=COBINT|pc|80521&tmn=DynaPro+ATM+RF10&t yp=Truck/SUV

these things are awesome. great tread design they have almost zero road noise, wear extremely evenly, and have great traction in all weather and terrain, i have had them on my truck this whole winter (i live in colorado) and we have seen some big snow and they are unstoppable, plus i take trips into the mountains and these things shine off road, obviously not as well as a mud terrain, but thats because its an all terrain, and they are cheaper than BFG A/T's
i hate my hankooks. horrible in wet or snow w 2wd. 4x4 they do decent. the rubber is soft and you will develop missing chunks and crumbling sidewalls. the only redeeming factors are they look cool and no road noise.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

I got Bridgestone Dueler At Revo II and they are awesome...

Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran

Originally Posted by thunder98110
i hate my hankooks. horrible in wet or snow w 2wd. 4x4 they do decent. the rubber is soft and you will develop missing chunks and crumbling sidewalls. the only redeeming factors are they look cool and no road noise.

The fact that you disabled your 4wd and do burnouts and launches wouldn't have anything to do with it? Im pretty sure any tire will chunk out if you do that

Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran

If you like your BFG A/T's you might want to look at the General Grabber A/T 2. Same basic tread design and I have heard nothing but good things about them, although I have not run them myself.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendation?