2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need advice on buying used Dakota, what engine to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InnerCityHillBilly
i looked at some sites and they said that the 5.2 was offered from 1997-2003 may just not be as many as the 4.7 or 5.9
this might help...the 5.2 was done after 1999 in all Mopars, (allpar.com says it was 2002 that it was gone, maybe the rams still had it till then) i'm pretty sure of that.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...e-dakota-8.htm

Last edited by TheePlaymaker; 02-25-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasCoder
Not to sound too simple, but what is the difference between AWD and 4WD? Is is just one is always "on" and the other is driver engaged?
Yes, that is basically it. AWD uses a center differential in the transfer case to allow the front and rear wheels to turn at different speeds, and this is why you can drive an AWD on dry pavement without any problems. I wrote a more detailed explanation of it here.

Just wasn't sure Dodge offered the V6 on these models. I am not educated in the Dodge engines, and I don't have any experience with their torque and horsepower :-\

From you profile, it looks like you own a V6 4x4. What are you thoughts? Are they less prone to engine issues than the 4/5 liters? Easier to work with/on?
I haven't owned the truck long enough to answer those questions. It does have decent power though (it doesn't feel sluggish). According to Allpar.com, the 3.9L V6 has 175 HP @ 4,800 rpm and 225 ft-lbs of torque @ 3,200 RPM and gets about 2 MPG better gas milage than a similarly set up 318 (5.2L V8).

You don't really need a lot of power for 4WD usage anyway, unless you plan on blasting through mud bogs. Most off-roading is done at slow speeds and if you need extra torque, you have low range for that. The old military-style 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagons (1946 - 1968) are legendary, and they always had a rather under-powered 6-cylinder engine (about 123 HP for the flathead 230 straight-6). However, they were geared like a tractor.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
Yes, that is basically it. AWD uses a center differential in the transfer case to allow the front and rear wheels to turn at different speeds, and this is why you can drive an AWD on dry pavement without any problems. I wrote a more detailed explanation of it here.

I haven't owned the truck long enough to answer those questions. It does have decent power though (it doesn't feel sluggish). According to Allpar.com, the 3.9L V6 has 175 HP @ 4,800 rpm and 225 ft-lbs of torque @ 3,200 RPM and gets about 2 MPG better gas milage than a similarly set up 318 (5.2L V8).

You don't really need a lot of power for 4WD usage anyway, unless you plan on blasting through mud bogs. Most off-roading is done at slow speeds and if you need extra torque, you have low range for that. The old military-style 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagons (1946 - 1968) are legendary, and they always had a rather under-powered 6-cylinder engine (about 123 HP for the flathead 230 straight-6). However, they were geared like a tractor.
MaximRecoil: That's some good stuff! I like the write up on 4WD vs AWD! And when you mentioned the power wagons, my mind just started flooding with all the CJ (series) Jeeps I have worked on in the past. They came with (mostly) 3 to 4 liter V6 engines, and had enough torque to "suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro"! BTW: Can anyone name the movie that quote came from? :-)

Thanks again for the link to the write up!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM
n_i_c_k

My 3.9L has around 220K(maybe 250K) and is due for a rebuild. Most of its life has been pushing a plow and doing alot heavy hauling. I think you'll have better luck with the 5.2/5.9 or 4.7 for overall reliability. Though I'm satisfied what I've got out of the 3.9.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:10 PM
04crewcabsport
Amateur

I have 89,000 miles on my 4.7 with the 545RFE transmission. I have had my upper ball joints replaced in Oct '10, to pass PA inspection. Brakes, and tires wear very well for me at least.

My Dakota is mechanically stock. Mpg is about 15-15.5 mpg overall. This is on a 4 door, 4x4, with the 3.55 gears. It is a commuter, and it sees it's share of idle time in Pittsburgh traffic.

See if maintenance records are available for the Dakota's that are for sale. I'd be more interested in history, than most anything else.

This is my first non GM vehicle, and I think that it runs great. It hasn't nickle-dimed me to death, so I am a happy Mopar convert.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 PM
89newbie
Captain

That is good news! But I am finding that us southern folk are white knuckle'n their 4x4 Dakotas. I found one earlier this morning, looked at it, and offered the man 6,800 from his 7,300 OBO posting. Without twitching he said "Nope, I would rather keep it"

This last one I went to look at, the person decided not too sell it. Claimed he wanted to "get a few more miles out of her"...

Tail tucked between my legs and limping back home, I am once again searching the 'net and local papers...someone out there is going to want my bag of money!
Check carefully when your prices are that close. Way back when I had hair,lol, I had one up for sale. Guy offered me $250.00 less than asking, I passed. That night wifie and I went out to dinner 30 miles away. Guess who parked next to us, Yep, He bought his deal of a lifetime and sneered at us as he laughed and exclaimed that I should have dropped my price. His wife looked at him and said, You couldnt afford that truck? Tires, wheels, chrome, brush guard, lighted visor dual exhaust". She stared the wife stare we all know, dread, and said lets go home, you probably want me to eat a burger, I want the steak." Oh ya almost forgot sold it the next weekend for more than I asked cause the guy liked the truck.

Last edited by 89newbie; 02-25-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 02-25-2011, 11:35 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Check carefully when your prices are that close. Way back when I had hair,lol, I had one up for sale. Guy offered me $250.00 less than asking, I passed. That night wifie and I went out to dinner 30 miles away. Guess who parked next to us, Yep, He bought his deal of a lifetime and sneered at us as he laughed and exclaimed that I should have dropped my price. His wife looked at him and said, You couldnt afford that truck? Tires, wheels, chrome, brush guard, lighted visor dual exhaust". She stared the wife stare we all know, dread, and said lets go home, you probably want me to eat a burger, I want the steak." Oh ya almost forgot sold it the next weekend for more than I asked cause the guy liked the truck.
That's a funny story man, sorry to hear you ran into the fellow. But, at least you got what you were asking for and then some. It is always nice to sell a vehicle and be happy, and to also know the buyer is just as happy!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Originally Posted by 04crewcabsport
I have 89,000 miles on my 4.7 with the 545RFE transmission. I have had my upper ball joints replaced in Oct '10, to pass PA inspection. Brakes, and tires wear very well for me at least.

My Dakota is mechanically stock. Mpg is about 15-15.5 mpg overall. This is on a 4 door, 4x4, with the 3.55 gears. It is a commuter, and it sees it's share of idle time in Pittsburgh traffic.

See if maintenance records are available for the Dakota's that are for sale. I'd be more interested in history, than most anything else.

This is my first non GM vehicle, and I think that it runs great. It hasn't nickle-dimed me to death, so I am a happy Mopar convert.
That is great news on the 4.7 liter. I have been reading some great reviews on this engine. It's relaxing to hear these great stories about reliability! I tend to be the **** shopper when buying used cars. I am the guy checking CarFax and all hunched up under the hood when test driving one. I have actually walked away from deals (individual sellers), when I request that the engine is cold when I go to view it, and to get there and the engine is hot and had obviously been drive :-(

Most used cars that I have bought didn't have reliable maintenance records, but then again I always hunted for the cheapest deal, and never bat an eye at dropping a transmission for rebuild, or yanking an engine for a rebuild...but you are right, it helps to know if the owner at least took it in for the free TSB's...especially when it comes to the safety parts (SRS, Seats, Seat Belts...)

Last edited by TexasCoder; 02-25-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Originally Posted by n_i_c_k
My 3.9L has around 220K(maybe 250K) and is due for a rebuild. Most of its life has been pushing a plow and doing alot heavy hauling. I think you'll have better luck with the 5.2/5.9 or 4.7 for overall reliability. Though I'm satisfied what I've got out of the 3.9.
Man, that is awesome on the mileage! Keep that thing running! I like to read stories like this, it is one thing to buy and drive a vehicle to death, but a whole other story when the owners keeps it alive!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What part of Texas you from?

And... I got a 97' QC 5.2L SLT AUTO- 4x4 for 6.5K Financed right under 9K...

Good truck other than this stupid lope... still working on it but got most of it almost non existent..

To be honest though I wish I would have taken my money and just paid out right for an older bronco.. but that's just my .02.. but I do love my truck dont get me wrong..

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying used Dakota, what engine to avoid?