2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need advice on buying used Dakota, what engine to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasCoder
That is great news on the 4.7 liter. I have been reading some great reviews on this engine. It's relaxing to hear these great stories about reliability! I tend to be the **** shopper when buying used cars. I am the guy checking CarFax and all hunched up under the hood when test driving one. I have actually walked away from deals (individual sellers), when I request that the engine is cold when I go to view it, and to get there and the engine is hot and had obviously been drive :-(

Most used cars that I have bought didn't have reliable maintenance records, but then again I always hunted for the cheapest deal, and never bat an eye at dropping a transmission for rebuild, or yanking an engine for a rebuild...but you are right, it helps to know if the owner at least took it in for the free TSB's...especially when it comes to the safety parts (SRS, Seats, Seat Belts...)
Glad to read someone else wants a cold engine start. I thought I was the only person in the world that will not buy a pre-warmed truck. , lol thats kinda like askin for sloppy seconds rofl

Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Glad to read someone else wants a cold engine start. I thought I was the only person in the world that will not buy a pre-warmed truck. , lol thats kinda like askin for sloppy seconds rofl
LOL, very true! Some folks just don't understand why I would want to see the fluid levels at "cold" versus at "hot", but then again most folks are like us :-)

Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 PM
BAMF1500

Good luck with the search. Just bought an 01 with a 4.7 slt quadcab for $200 bucks blown engine put in a reman engine in in stalled myself for $2400 bucks. im still under $3k total love this truck!!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Originally Posted by BAMF1500
Good luck with the search. Just bought an 01 with a 4.7 slt quadcab for $200 bucks blown engine put in a reman engine in in stalled myself for $2400 bucks. im still under $3k total love this truck!!
Thanks for the info man! I was just looking at a 2001 Quad Cab SLT with the 4.7L. The engine and tranny seem pretty solid, no visible leaks or obvious signs of issues, and I think I can get it for 2k. The cosmetic stuff needs some TLC (head liner tear, driver side door dent, rear bumper is dented), and it has 253k on the odometer.

I am weighing the options, if possibly talking it down to 1500, then I might be game for it.

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying used Dakota, what engine to avoid?