2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help - Problem after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
dakotadad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Problem after battery change

I guess I should post this in the 2nd gen sub-forum?
I finally had to replace the battery on my 2001 Dakota SLT 4x4 4.7. The symptoms started with the driver's side window straining and then later not going down at all.
The problems now that I have changed it are:
1. There is a red signal that flashes quickly on the dash display. It is so quick I have trouble focusing to be able to read it. I think it is flashing SECURITY. What does that mean and how can I eliminate - fix it so it no longer flashes?
2. When I turn the headlights on, I get a clicking noise and in sequence with that noise, the headlights and the dash display lights blink. What could cause that and how can I fix it?
I would appreciate any help from someone more technically oriented than myself.
Thanks.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:51 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

second one could just be a relay kicking on, hence the sound...not sure about the first one since I've personally never heard about that from what I can remember

Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My truck flashes secuirty when the door is open or when the keys are in it and the door is open(i cant remember which). Its nothing to worry about it. Does your truck start and run fine.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
dakotadad

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
My truck flashes secuirty when the door is open or when the keys are in it and the door is open(i cant remember which). Its nothing to worry about it. Does your truck start and run fine.
Yes, it starts with no problem and runs great. I am most concerned about the intermittent but persistent blinking when I turn on the headlights. Not only the headlights but the dash lights also blink and I can hear what sounds like a relay clicking in/out. The sound "seems" to come from behind the light switch. I had it out yesterday for a test and while stopped at a traffic light the horn beeped once and the windshield wipers swept one time. These two things happened simultaneously, one time and have not again since???

Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

To me its starting to sound like the ctm is going. It is located behind the driverside kick panel(next to the parking brake). I would try unplugging it for a little bit and then plug it back in and see if it fixes anything.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
dakotadad

To me its starting to sound like the ctm is going. It is located behind the driverside kick panel(next to the parking brake). I would try unplugging it for a little bit and then plug it back in and see if it fixes anything.
ctm ? Is that a plug in module? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term ctm.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

central timer module. It controls stuff like power windows,security,headlights,power locks,radio,cruise controls pretty much anything body electrical

Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
dakotadad

central timer module. It controls stuff like power windows,security,headlights,power locks,radio,cruise controls pretty much anything body electrical
Ok - got it. I will check that out tomorrow morning and let you know. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
dakotadad

Well, you were right on target. The ctm is faulty. Got one coming from Detroit - should be here tomorrow. $$$.$$

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Well thats good you got it figured out sucks about spending the money for one tho

Quick Reply: Help - Problem after battery change