2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bad U-Joint Symptoms and DIY Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
qcdakota5sp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad U-Joint Symptoms and DIY Repair

Hey all,

I recently found a thread that was indicating a squeaking noise I was having was related to the U-Joint
( https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post2443314 )

Yesterday when I drove to work I didn't hear the tell-tale squeak and in its place I'm having vibration when I accelerate. If I accelerate at the same speed that a semi would I dont' have it but anything mor than that and I feel it. It almost feels as if the truck is working harder than it should.

Anyways - do you guys think this is officially my U-Joint?

If so any pointers on a fix - I'll be doing it myself? I'm planning on taking care of this next weekend, do you think I can make it until then without a catastrophic failure if I go really easy?

Thanks!

~D

Old 03-20-2011, 05:33 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran

have you jacked it up or got under there and looked? if its a bad vibration then i would be worried cuz a broke ujoint at 60 sucks!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM
qcdakota5sp

Originally Posted by frydaddy82
have you jacked it up or got under there and looked? if its a bad vibration then i would be worried cuz a broke ujoint at 60 sucks!
Well I put it in neutral and climbed underneath and tried moving the drive shaft around. Barely any play in the the rear-end and couldn't notice any in the u-joint.

Would I be able to tell if the u-joint was bad by this?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Lebbie54
Professional

Well U joints all squeel when they are going bad. So if it never has or it stopped it is probably something else. When mine when out once it started it never stopped. I heard it till it was replaced. Trust me you will know when it is a you joint, it sounds like someone is chocking a gerbil when you are driving.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure of squieling sound.. but I know when a U-Joint starts going out/bad.. they go dong.. thunk.. how ever you want to describe it.. when you put in gear.. more profoundly as you change gears.. with foot on brake.. Driver to R.. changing either way.. sometimes when you are slowing down real quick from an acceleration.. and it down shifts as you slow you might here it too..

You would also feel it..

Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
qcdakota5sp

Originally Posted by Lebbie54
Well U joints all squeel when they are going bad. So if it never has or it stopped it is probably something else. When mine when out once it started it never stopped. I heard it till it was replaced. Trust me you will know when it is a you joint, it sounds like someone is chocking a gerbil when you are driving.

It was squealing very badly (chocking squirrel/gerbil) not more than three days ago but it up-and-up stopped... I'm concerned about losing it so I made an appointment for tomorrow to have it re-done. I was going to do it myself but we're due for 15cm today so I'm not interested in crawling around in that crap to deal with it.

Bring on the summer!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:54 PM
qcdakota5sp

Ah

I took it into the local dealer today and it was in fact the u-joint. One of caps had lost all of the lubrication and the bearings were toasted.

But turns out the original owner put a 7year 160000 power-train warranty on my truck so they replaced for free - most excellent.

Quick Reply: Bad U-Joint Symptoms and DIY Repair