2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P 0442 Evap Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM
daveh1219
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P 0442 Evap Code

Ok guys, I know the 0442 code is for an evap leak on my 2002 Dakota 4x4 5 spd. I've been battling this issue for a while now. I found a crack in a rubber hose leading from the solenoid to the canister so I snipped it and replaced the line to get rid of the crack. My question is should I just replace all of my hoses? How much would I need? I've replaced the purge solenoid and gas cap already, not really sure if the canister is what is causing it or not. I've read where if the canister is over filled it can cause the vapors to not work properly. But if I don't have to pay for a canister I'd rather not. I have emissions in my county so I would like to get the code fixed at some point. Thanks for any information

Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you dont have emissions then i wouldn't worry about it. ive left my evap leak code for over a year. no issues.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
scme

If you haven't already, you might want to look at getting a smoke test done. There might be a leak where you may not notice. I had one around the green purge valve which was a very, small split.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
daveh1219
Rookie

alright yeah, I'm thinking of just replacing the hoses.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced the rubber emissions hoses in my engine compartment with fuel line hose from the parts store. I also replaced the right angle hose connectors at my evap purge solenoid and I had to buy a universal hose tee to make up a hose from the front of my TB down to the evap emissions leak detection pump underneath my battery tray. Advance sells the fuel line hose by the foot and they had all the parts I needed for less than $20.00, including the right angle hose connectors I used on my purge solenoid. So far I have not had to replace any lines or evap system hoses at the charcoal canister or the gas tank.

Jimmy

Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
daveh1219
Rookie

ok thanks a lot. I'm gonna pull my truck in the garage tonight and mess with it. hopefully figure out whats causing it to set off the code.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you try tightening your gas cap? i threw that same code about 2 months ago and tightened the gas cap a few clicks, cleared the code, and it never came back

Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I should add here that I also had to replace my evap emissions leak detection pump to fix the problem I had with my truck. The P0441 and P0442 codes are for leaks in the evap system. There are a lot of possible causes for those type of codes. A Dodge dealer can do a smoke test on the truck and find the problem for you pretty easily but that costs money and you have to worry about whether you can trust the dealership. I have a post about my P0441 code here, maybe it will help:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...591-p0441.html

Jimmy

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 PM
daveh1219
Rookie

Could you tell me about how much length of hose and the sizes I'd need? I'd appreciate it cause I'm just a little unsure of what all I'll need. I plan on tackling this tomorrow after I get off work.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

If I remember it right I bought 8 feet of 3/8" or maybe it was 5/16" inside diameter rubber fuel hose. I used about 7 feet of the hose but I wanted to have a little extra just in case. Just cut off a short piece of the hose from your truck and take it with you to the parts store so they can match it for the correct size. I had to buy a universal plastic hose splice because the hose that ran from my Leak Detection Pump up to the Throttle Body was a different size and the parts store didn't have it. So I used a short piece of the old hose from the TB with the splice adapter to mate it up to the new hose size that I ran down to the LDP. The splice lets you put two pieces of different size hose together to make one length of hose. The splice was over on the rack near the air filters where they keep all the oddball emissions parts like grommets and hose connectors. When I put the two hose pieces together I wrapped the spliced area in electrical tape and it has held fine ever since.

It probably was not necessary to replace the right angle hose connectors on my purge solenoid, but I did it anyway because new connectors were cheap and the ones I had were the original and looked a little dry rotted. If you do that just take the old hose ends with you to the store so you get the right size. Those right angle connectors were in the same display rack as the hose splice. The hole on the new connectors was slightly larger than I needed but it fit OK and I put a zip tie on each end to hold it tightly on the solenoid. I haven't had any problems with that either.

As for the emissions hoses I replaced the ones going from the LDP to the TB and also to the two hard plastic hoses that come up from behind the TB on the firewall. The hard plastic hoses were OK so I left them alone. They lead back to the gas tank and at the tank they have rubber hoses connecting the hard plastic hoses to the tank itself. Those are the hoses that a lot of us have had to crack and split open. I think that happens a lot more up north where they have snow and salt on the roads that deteriorates the hoses.

There was one larger diameter hose under my hood that I left alone, I can't remember but I think it ran from the LDP the intake manifold. That hose is a dealer only item and is probably expensive. Mine looked to be OK so I didn't replace it.

Quick Reply: P 0442 Evap Code