2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4bt Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 AM
cpberry1
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVguy
on the 99 I just removed all the ECM system and built my own dash.
Much easier, just took me a couple of years to come to that conclusion.

BFN
Randy
I saw your cluster - looks quite nice and I may end up going that route but am trying to keep the stock look for now. I had read about the DD boxes - might be one in my future...
Patrick

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you removed the front diff and axles what did you put back into the front hubs to keep the bearings in place?
I just used the outer part of the CV joint once I had decided that they were not going back in as complete axles.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:48 PM
cpberry1
Professional
Default Axle shafts...

I struggled with whether to fight to get the pan to seal but finally just decided a solid axle swap was a better route so I broke the axle at the outer joint and put the outer axle shaft back through the hub and tightened it up. For now I still have the joint hardware in the shaft and was just going to use a 3 1/2 inch rubber cap made for use on PVC pipe to seal it up with some band clamps on the outside but after thinking it through further I'll probable just pull the joint hardware (race and the joint bearings) out and leave the inside open.
Patrick

Old 03-10-2012, 12:31 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cpberry1
I'll probable just pull the joint hardware (race and the joint bearings) out and leave the inside open.
Patrick
That's what I did.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM
cpberry1
Professional

And it's on the road! First test drive tonight (further than around my circle) was a success! Motor runs in the zone for great fuel economy at between 60 and 65mph. Looking forward to getting some miles on it and I'll report back with the stats. Now on to an exhaust system - just a basic 3" to a resonator to 4" out the back then I'll tidy up the interior a little.
It's been fun!
Patrick

For the record, a Cummins Ram 4" exhaust works well - I have an hx30 with a 2.5 exhaust housing - jumped that to 4" shortly after the downturn then used flex to make the lower turn to the back then the Ram 4" all the way back. I inserted the resonator as well - might opt to run without it at some point but it's not hurting for now.

Last edited by cpberry1; 10-31-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM
cpberry1
Professional
Default Update

Only around 1800 miles on it since the swap and one transfer case repair - they eat the aluminum parts without oil... Replaced that range fork and a new set of seals and it's doing great. I also sealed up the front shaft exit on the case to eliminate it as a leak point. Considered swapping parts to a 2wd nv4500 setup but this route was much easier and less expensive. It definitely is a different truck than with the v6!! I'm at around 24-ish mpg with it but haven't had a chance to do anything to try to improve that. I'm in the process of getting gauges - bought a 3-gauge pillar pod for boost, pyro, and one yet tbd.

I'll get some pictures up when I take a few...

Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
cpberry1
Professional

Here's the only good one I have and it needs rotated. I'm away from home for now... I'll get some of the engine bay when I get home.
Patrick

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (90.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear! Im sure people see that badge and say looks at that poser trying to make his dakota something its not lol Im sure you pull up to people at stop lights and stuff thinking that ole magnum motor is on its way out haha

Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 PM
cpberry1
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Good to hear! Im sure people see that badge and say looks at that poser trying to make his dakota something its not lol Im sure you pull up to people at stop lights and stuff thinking that ole magnum motor is on its way out haha
It's pretty funny - you can really tell the people who know and/or like trucks - they look up when they hear it coming and look away and then do a double-take and either stare or point... I've had more than a few come up and want to take a look at it when I park it somewhere and have had a couple ask me my price! All in all it's been a fun experiment and one I'm glad I started.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:03 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I can believe it. You know they put the diesel in the libertys and grand cherokees but never in dakotas or anything. I would think there would be a great market for mid size diesel trucks.

Quick Reply: 4bt Swap