2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Seafoam Question???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tatteddawg815
disconnect the break booster line from the master cylinder. it will run from that to the intake or at least that is what i found out on some webpages showing how to seafoam a car or truck
this is exactly right

Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 AM
HDPursuit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Folks, picked up a can yesterday, 1/3 in the gas, have a buddy coming over later to help with the vacuum line. I'll update about any changes in performance.

02 Quad 4x4 120k

Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 PM
BLSHOG10
Rookie

right on guys thanks for the tips and info... i cant wait to seafoam my baby ha...

Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 PM
RoeGrant
Default hav any1 had prblm wit seafoam?

Ova a year ago,I replaced my motor n my truck. I was actually lookn 4 sumthn that cud stop tha rattle n my motor,which was my valves. I was informd by an employee @ Autozone 2 use Seafoam,n 2 pour it n where tha oil goes.I did dat,drove around 4 a few hrs. Afta parkn,I had a cam position sensor installd,which tha distributor was movd,which set tha timin off. Dat resultd n 2 hvn my car towd 2 a shop. 30min later I get a call sayn my motor was knockn. Mechanic stated water was n my oil. It was tha Seafoam. I had 2 replace my motor. Cud not prove it @ dat time,but sumbdy else 2day said same thng hppn 2 tha motor also frm mixin with tha oil. NOT GOOD @ ALL

Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Sea foam did not hurt your motor. It is a petroleum based product. The only problem sea foam might cause is fouled plugs and that's one because it actually works to break down the carbon buildup. The plugs can get coated in the buildup as the buildup burned in the cylinders. It's a great product and it's the ONLY additive that I will put in my engine, PERIOD.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 AM
JustinDD99
Rookie

how often do you guys seafoam your engines? last time i did mine was around 4 months ago during middle of winter.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

About once every 6 months, I add a can to a full tank of gas just to keep the injectors clean. It works really well via a vacuum line, but last time I did that one of my neighbors thought my house was on fire due to the clouds of exhaust. Do a YouTube search for examples before you try it so you know what to expect. You shouldn't need to do that very often at all.

One thing I do recommend is unbolting your throttle body and physically cleaning it with a toothbrush and throttle body cleaner. Also, gently scrub the carbon buildup off the IAC. Below are some useful links we Durango guys use...

Cleaning Throttle body & IAC
5.2L and 5.9L
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...ttle-body.html
4.7L
http://www.mediafire.com/?k0742k5tvj1dqxh

In regards to running all the gas from your tank before filling up again... BS. It is actually bad to let your tank get that low for multiple reasons...
  • Running out of gas (getting stranded sucks )
  • Fuel pump overheating (always fill up at 1/4 tank to avoid ruining your fuel pump... they are too expensive to destroy prematurely)
  • Picking up any sediment in the bottom of your tank, clogging your fuel filter

Old 05-07-2011, 03:27 PM
JustinDD99
Rookie

100% agree about not letting gas run past a quarter. I've done the seafoam in the gas tank and brake booster vacuum line. Did great. Plan to clean out the TB this summer and maybe another can this coming fall

Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by samnbensdad
About once every 6 months, I add a can to a full tank of gas just to keep the injectors clean. It works really well via a vacuum line, but last time I did that one of my neighbors thought my house was on fire due to the clouds of exhaust. Do a YouTube search for examples before you try it so you know what to expect. You shouldn't need to do that very often at all.

One thing I do recommend is unbolting your throttle body and physically cleaning it with a toothbrush and throttle body cleaner. Also, gently scrub the carbon buildup off the IAC. Below are some useful links we Durango guys use...

Cleaning Throttle body & IAC
5.2L and 5.9L
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...ttle-body.html
4.7L
http://www.mediafire.com/?k0742k5tvj1dqxh

In regards to running all the gas from your tank before filling up again... BS. It is actually bad to let your tank get that low for multiple reasons...
  • Running out of gas (getting stranded sucks )
  • Fuel pump overheating (always fill up at 1/4 tank to avoid ruining your fuel pump... they are too expensive to destroy prematurely)
  • Picking up any sediment in the bottom of your tank, clogging your fuel filter

You forgot another point..

• In Fuel Blended test areas where they add up to 10% Ethanol moisture in the tank is separated by the Ethanol and will float at the top of the tank..

In this case you would once* you got low enough of fuel start sucking ethanol and water.. and you know what happens from here..

Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM
HDPursuit

Hey Folks, an update on the Seafoam experiment. Ran 1/2 a can in the gas and the rest down the vac lines. Seems to be running alittle smoother. Can't really talk to improved gas milage as I changed out all 4 tires for a set of 15 inch of my 2 wd parts truck. If my math is right (not a strong suit) my milage is exactly the same after the tire change and the Seafoam. 13.8 ARRGGHH. All i all the Seafoam works better than other additives I've used in the past.

Quick Reply: Seafoam Question???