2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A/C Question, I hope you have an answer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question, I hope you have an answer.

Hey guys, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it (yes I searched). After a long day of work outside in the sun (about 80 or 85 degrees), I jumped in the truck, started her up and cranked the A/C. Only problem is that the A/C only turned on a lower setting. It definitely wasn't the highest setting. The air itself is cool, but it doesn't come out fast enough to cancel out how hot the sun is. I'm not sure how much sense that made, but basically the air isn't blowing as fast as it should be. It's an 02, so it has the newer interior if it makes a difference. Can anyone help me out?

EDIT: Okay I just got in it again, and this time it is working on speeds 1, 2, and 3, but when you put it to 4 (highest), it blows the same as 1 (low). I did a bit more reading, would this be caused by a bad blower resistor?

Last edited by dirtbiker; 06-03-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Something changed
Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be the fan switch on the AC control head. Remove the dash panel and take the control head panel off the back of the dash so it will be easier to work with. The fan speed switch works by applying ground to each one of the fan speed terminals on the back of the switch in relation to the selected fan speed on the front of the control head.

Unplug the fan switch and use a volt-ohm meter to check for continuity to ground on each of the 4 speed setting terminals on the back of the switch as you move the switch through the different speeds settings one at a time. There should be continuity to ground on all settings one at a time but no continuity between any two of the speed setting terminals at any time. Then move the fan switch to the high setting and check the resistance to ground with your meter. If it is a lot higher resistance than the other settings I bet the switch itself is bad. If it is bad you have to replace the entire control head assembly. If it's too expensive maybe try one from a junk yard.

If the fan switch checks out OK, you could try a new blower motor resistor pack from the Dodge dealer, swap it out and see what happens. The resistor should cost less than $20.00. Don't buy the resistor at a parts store, it is best to get it at the dealer because Dodge did a redesign on the resistors a few years ago with much better and more reliable parts. If you have your original resistor pack you will see the difference when you compare the old part to the new one. I have read that Dodge sold all their old resistor stock to Napa.

Usually when the resistor goes bad you lose all of the lower fan speeds and the fan only works on high. We all know that the bad blower resistors are a really common problem on Dakota's. On my own truck I had a somewhat reduced fan speed on the high setting and a new resistor fixed the problem. It also improved the lower fan speeds too.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Jimmy

Old 06-03-2011, 09:56 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do, thanks for helping me out again Jimmy. Speaking of which, I still haven't gotten around to fixing the noise but checked it out and I found that my sway bar links are loose, and that's about all that I found. I didn't really notice anything with the wheel tests prescribed in one of my other threads, but will probably just replace the bearings soon anyway. The noise hasn't gotten any louder or different, so I'm not really that worried about it (but will fix soon, I don't like stuff broken). I'll probably jump on the A/C tomorrow though, since it's so hot.
Thanks

Quick Reply: A/C Question, I hope you have an answer.