2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 05:46 AM
matthewo_03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo question

where can i go to turbocharge my 99 Dkaota R/T i wanna give it and engine dress up kit, better air intake (the best) custom exhaust, headers, and of course the turbo charger im having trouble trying to find anything and the chip and anyone know of any thing that can make my truck have more hp than and srt10>????????

Old 07-10-2005, 08:10 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Default RE: turbo question

Would probably be alot less work and cheaper to just get a supercharger kit for teh 5.9.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:55 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

matthew...before you do anything, i suggest that you take alot of time to research what youre doing. for instance, youre turbocharging, and buying headers? all that matters for your headers is that they will work with the turbochargers...

anyway, turbocharging is for little engines...get a blower from KenneBell...too many people are turbo'ing now because they watch too much TV.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

i just think supers are better

Old 07-12-2005, 01:14 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbos are great, but really I don't think they're right for the application. Turbos create a great deal of heat and I don't know if you've noticed this or not but it already gets pretty toasty under the hood. Keep in mind that turbos can glow red hot when under load... where are you going to put the thing?

Old 07-13-2005, 05:00 AM
dodgeman4x4
Rookie

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT
anyway, turbocharging is for little engines...get a blower from KenneBell...too many people are turbo'ing now because they watch too much TV.
u sir are WRONG!!!!

there are many extraordinarly fast race cars( yes i'm talking v8's) that use turbos. They simply are more efficent at making power then superchargers. Not parasitic drivetrain loss from belts. Not to mention they are so advance today, especially the ball bearing turbos. Compressor housing are very effiecent as well as the compressor and turbine blades as well. A properly sized turbo on a v8 will have little if NO noticable "turbo lag" and have a much more linear power curve then a supercharger. Maybe 30 years ago your logic might have made sense, but doubtfully then either. Its just a better way for forced induction. As are as tv goes...Tv producers show what is popular, imports are popular. not v8 muscle cars, not trucks. Imports don't usually respond well to superchargers as well as they do turbos(for prev. mentioned reasons) so they all use turbos. Not to mention the esthics of it, you know, the wonder BOV sound. Yes we all love that. I'm too tired to argue this anybetter. but keep the opinons off and the facts on.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.dakota-durango.com/parts....=turbochargers
http://www.dakota-durango.com/parts....=superchargers

There are significantly more supercharger packages out there than turbochargers, mostly because of the restrictive PCM system. The Paxton supercharger is by far the most popular blower with the R/T crowd because it flows the most and currently has the most options for fuel management. The Powerdyne is a cheap blower - you get what you pay for though. KB makes amazing blowers for Ford products, but the 5.9L blower isn't the same design and is far less popular.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:28 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

kene bell makes a super charger kit for the 5.9, i havent heard much about turbos for the 5.9

Old 07-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Joelzy
Professional

I have heard rumors off a twin turbo r/t. supposed to be a billy bad @$$, but never really looked into it. I know they have a twin turbo srt-10 which is probably ridiculous considering its already got a viper motor in it. I believe its called the venom 650r or something like that. anyway it may (or may not) be the same company that did the twin turbo r/t kota, if it exists.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 AM
dodgeman4x4
Rookie

if you want cheap, get a junkyard turbo. have a shop fab up some piping, and get an intercooler. make sure u are able to feed enough gas and get a custom programed ecu. but cheap usually ends with a less reliable engine. just fork out the money for a kit.

Quick Reply: turbo question