2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel pump adventure

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^_^ ^_^

Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 AM
JackTheStripper5.9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I figured out the one u-nut won't come off without the bed off cause the cross member on the bed sits above the cross member on the frame and blocks it in. The factory u-nut is more of a clip but I got part of the stud stuck in it so it won't slide out between the bed crossmember and the frame. The new one is bigger so I know it won't slide back up in there.

I cut a section out from above only to find out that I can't touch the bed crossmember without cutting the frame so I'm paused at the moment thinking.

There is a hole for the stud to stick up through on the bed cross member which should work to my advantage. It needs to be a tad bigger to lift out the old clip and install the new clip but my grinder can not fit down in there. Hmmm... I already got a hole in the bed I might as well take advantage of it before I patch it up. Not trying to take the bed off cause I don't have an impact wrench but I guess it's what I might have to do it.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTheStripper5.9
well I figured out the one u-nut won't come off without the bed off cause the cross member on the bed sits above the cross member on the frame and blocks it in. The factory u-nut is more of a clip but I got part of the stud stuck in it so it won't slide out between the bed crossmember and the frame. The new one is bigger so I know it won't slide back up in there.

I cut a section out from above only to find out that I can't touch the bed crossmember without cutting the frame so I'm paused at the moment thinking.

There is a hole for the stud to stick up through on the bed cross member which should work to my advantage. It needs to be a tad bigger to lift out the old clip and install the new clip but my grinder can not fit down in there. Hmmm... I already got a hole in the bed I might as well take advantage of it before I patch it up. Not trying to take the bed off cause I don't have an impact wrench but I guess it's what I might have to do it.
1/2 ratchet, long extension and a cheater pipe and they will come off no problem. I think I used my 3/8 ratchet for pretty much all of it. I dont care if I break them cause they are craftsman anyway lol. Just spray them with pb blaster like a couple times during the day before you do it. I only had one that gave me a problem but a little heat took care of it.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 AM
JackTheStripper5.9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... turns out that I didn't burn up the pump from being empty. It didn't quit at all. Old pump works, so I wasted a bunch of time and parts BUT now I got a wiring problem. I hear the relay click but the pump does not prime. Tested the pump I bought and it works with a hardwire. Only logical explanation I can think of for that is some kind of wiring fault between the relay the pump. I looked at the wiring following it from the fuel pump harness along the frame and up into the fuse/relay box. Looks (looks) good all the way so I guess I gotta test it out now...

This sucks... at least I can make some money back on this but I feel like a dumbass.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump adventure