2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel pump adventure

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
JackTheStripper5.9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fuel pump adventure

Thought I'd give you guys some humor

Fuel pump went out in my truck and I've been going at it on and off and boy did I figure out a few things lol

Came to the conclusion that the bolts weren't coming off the correct way. My first attempt was to try and use a sawzaw with some tough blades on them. I couldn't get the right angle and was hard to get up in there to begin with. I ended up realizing I probably just made more work for myself and I'm going to need a grinder. I wasn't too keen on the idea of using a grinder next to a gas tank so I figured what the hell and cut the straps down with my sawzall.

Dropped the tank down, cleaned it out, now I'm waiting on the new straps, $29 with free shipping, fine. Got a grinder and 10 pack of cutoff wheels for $21 and went to town. Tomorrow I'll pick up the new hardware from the dealership...$20 for the studs, nuts, and u-nuts. Hopefully this is the last of everything I'll need.

Anyone else ever have a project just turn to hell like this? I mean I could of done a few things differently but that's why it's a learning experience. My best advice is to cut a hole in the bed if you got a bed liner lol

Old 07-05-2011, 10:49 PM
JackTheStripper5.9
Rookie

Oh and I considered taking the bed off but I didn't see any issue with dropping the tank. 2 bolts vs 8 bolts... I'll take 2. The tank only had like 2 gallons in it and I figured with 257k, it should be cleaned out(however it seemed pretty clean inside). You can unplug everything by taking the rear splash guard off. Didn't need to take my tire off like I heard. Seemed a lot easier than doing an f-body.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Should of saved time and just took the bed off. When I did my fuel pump I had my bed ready to come off in a hour. Then I just used a come along to lift my bed up using the steel beam in our garage. I did it all by myself and was so much easier than trying to get my skid plate off and my tank straps.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 PM
ritualjman
Amateur

Well I will just pull my truck bed off when I change my fuel pump. I am getting the right amount of voltage to my fuel pump but I have low fuel pressure and have changed fuel filters cleaned my fuel injectors and took it out on a back road and just punched it right to the matt from the 60KM/H and still no change in pressure. Any ideas before I pull the bed off it and drop the tanks to change the fuel pump and clean the tank.

Thanks

Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by ritualjman
Well I will just pull my truck bed off when I change my fuel pump. I am getting the right amount of voltage to my fuel pump but I have low fuel pressure and have changed fuel filters cleaned my fuel injectors and took it out on a back road and just punched it right to the matt from the 60KM/H and still no change in pressure. Any ideas before I pull the bed off it and drop the tanks to change the fuel pump and clean the tank.

Thanks
Low fuel pressure is a bad a pump. Nothing else can cause it to be low other than a leak but you would see that. 8 bolts 3 fuel filler screws,spare tire rod(was just a pin you pull) and tail light clips. I did mine the bed way so I could sand the frame and repaint it also, so I killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

IMG_0494.jpg

Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Should of saved time and just took the bed off. When I did my fuel pump I had my bed ready to come off in a hour. Then I just used a come along to lift my bed up using the steel beam in our garage. I did it all by myself and was so much easier than trying to get my skid plate off and my tank straps.
Today I removed my skid plate and dropped the tank and replaced the sending unit and reinstalled everything with in 1 hour. That is before you started replacing yours, not to mention the time to put the bed back on and adjust and tighten it all down. 1st Gen tanks and skid plates are the same as 2nd Gens.

Sometimes removing the bed isn't faster. But I do know how easy it is to do it.
I had to have 2 other friends help me lift the bed off when I did the rear leaf spring brackets for my SAS a few months ago.

Originally Posted by JackTheStripper5.9
Seemed a lot easier than doing an f-body.
A F-Body as in Camaro and Firebirds/Trans Am. LOL Ya I had to replace the fuel pump in my two different T/A's. That was a PIA completely remove the rear axle and still fought with the steel filer neck.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 07-07-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Today I removed my skid plate and dropped the tank and replaced the sending unit and reinstalled everything with in 1 hour. That is before you started replacing yours, not to mention the time to put the bed back on and adjust and tighten it all down. 1st Gen tanks and skid plates are the same as 2nd Gens.

Sometimes removing the bed isn't faster. But I do know how easy it is to do it.
Yeah but dropping a 3/4 full tank of gas would of sucked for me plus I tried to take my skid plate bolts off and I couldnt budge them. It was my first time taking my bed off so im sure my time could improve.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 PM
ebrperk
Rookie

I had to do this in my 88 Toyota. Dropping the tank wasn't bad but all the screws were rusted in and I broke each one. A one day project turned in to a five day project
Fun Fun

Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Senate427
Veteran

I remember replacing the fuel pump on my 93 Dakota and I found that it was easier to take the bed off. It took a little over 1 hour to complete whole project.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
98dakota98
Rookie

i lifted the driver's side of the bed up on my 97 and changed the pump like that. 4 bolts for the bed, 3 for the filler neck, and 3 or 4 for the splash guard. only took 45 minutes or so.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump adventure