2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

cold air intake (CAI) actually WORTH it on a V6 3.9l??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 AM
tokey666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake (CAI) actually WORTH it on a V6 3.9l??

So I am halfway into building myself a cold air intake from ABS. The only thing I have left to order is the K&N filter. But I started thinking.....

I have a 3.9l v6 quad cab. It's sluggish. Is this really going to help the little V6 that I have? I don't want to blow 60 bucks if I don't have to, ya know?

Anybody out there do a CAI on the intake on their V6 and notice the improvement?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:21 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I made one out of pvc and a K&N type cone air filter a few years ago. I put it on my truck and it did not make any difference at all in performance or the way it ran. It did make more noise when I would gun the throttle though. I removed the elbow off the front of the air intake box, that helped a little. Then I took a Dremel tool to the front of the air box and cut out the opening in it a lot larger. That made a little more difference, maybe helped the power a little. It makes a howling noise when I go up hills or pass someone. I tried running with the rubber flap removed but the air filter got wet in heavy rain so I put it back on. I could tell no difference in performance either way.

The elbow and factory air intake box are restrictive to good air flow. I read online that if you open the front of the air box wider and use a good flowing paper air filter it is about the same effect as adding a CAI. I don't know if that is true or not but my modified air box does give a better power increase than my home made CAI. I also read that to really see the benefits of a CAI you need a better exhaust, more air in will naturally need more air out. That makes sense to me but all I have on my truck is the stock exhaust. If my muffler and/or cat ever fail I might look at bigger exhaust though.

Just my 2 cents. Others have probably gotten better results from a home made or store bought CAI.

Jimmy

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 AM
tokey666

Awesome. Thank you for the reply. Exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering if it really made a difference.

Anybody else have any experience?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 AM
keg97
Amateur

I made my own CAI by taking the snout off the air box and taking a hose through the front to behind the grill then turning it down so water can not enter. I also put a 3" gibson cat-back exhaust on. I seem to have more power, but I did get almost 2 mpg more.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 PM
tokey666

Thanks again Silver and Keg. I also thought about just plain removing the elbow, but then I'd be sucking in a bit warmer air. And I don't want to "ruin" the stock air box though in case I want to use it again in the future or sell the truck.

Decisions, decisions! You kinda scared me though keg by saying "I SEEM to have more power" haha. Even after a new exaust and your CAI mods, you scared me with the seem comment.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:33 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

If you like the look get an air cleaner, think about it 360 degrees of air flow with almost zero restrictions(bends)

Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional

I have the 3.7 V6 and put a CAI on it....very glad I did. Helps fuel economy and improved power a little bit. I got the cheap Ebay one for like $40. No reason not to get one.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 AM
ZANGADO
Rookie

I took the rubber flap out of the grill and took the horn off the airbox and put a K&N drop im filter and it made a differance,it sounds good too when you need it,and it cost $50 for the air filter.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
tokey666

Thanks for all the info everyone! I am thinking I might wait to make my modification to the intake until I do other mods as well. I am still debating! haha. I very much appreciate everyone's input on the situation.

Last edited by tokey666; 07-25-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Brian_
Captain

my whole thing is why spend $300.00 on a cia, when you wont see the money return back to you until a few years later

Quick Reply: cold air intake (CAI) actually WORTH it on a V6 3.9l??