2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Lift install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 AM
hanleysh
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lift install ?'s

Ok I'm installing a 2.5" torsion key lift this weekend and was wandering if anyone has any pointers... Never messed with torsion keys(or IFS) before. I searched the forum for some help and came up empty handed.. A step by step would be awsome or a little info to get me in the right direction. Also doing an add-a-leaf in the rear, just one ?, will I need new u-bolts? Looks like I've got a little more than 1" of threads left under stock ones. (03' QC 5.9) Only reason for the lift is I found a set of 315/75/16's for 40$/tire, cheaper to lift it a little more and buy those than buy new 305's Thanks very much for any help

Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i see you have 3" body lift already so yes 315s will fit after the t bar lift, i would help you out but i had a shop do my lift for 100 bucks i did 2.5 front and 2" rear lift plus my body lift.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:14 PM
hanleysh
Professional

thats what I was planning, add-a-leafs in the back and 2.5" keys up front...did the add-a-leafs today in about 45 minutes, probably gonna venture into the keys tomorrow if I can find a little more info online first

Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM
hanleysh
Professional

ok...so I made attempt #1 with the torsion keys today.....unloaded them, removed the bolt the whole way and cant get the key far enough out of the crossmember to get it off the bar.....has anyone here done the keys themselves? Need I remove the torsion bar from the front? Sorry new with torsion bars and IFS all together, need a little help

Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried mine a year ago and the key was rusted and frozen. Tried a bunch of techniques and none of them worked. So I just cranked it up all the way instead of putting in the new keys.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM
hanleysh
Professional

my keys are loose on the back of the bars, just not enough room to get them off the bar in the crossmember, tried droppin the tranny crossmember to get a little more wiggle room, not enough. Next question is how do I remove the bar all together? remove the lower control arm and sway control?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
hanleysh
Professional

and not to hijack my own thread but... Blaze, I see youre from clinton county...ever cruise around Lock Haven in that rig? Looks pretty familiar

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 AM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

what I did is took a pry bar to the torsion bar and pryed it down so I could have someone else take the keys off and put the new ones on

Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
hanleysh
Professional

sounds easy enough, going to give it another try here tonight, hoping for some better luck, I'll let you guys know how i make out

Old 08-20-2011, 04:15 PM
hanleysh
Professional

Originally Posted by URBANRDNECK
what I did is took a pry bar to the torsion bar and pryed it down so I could have someone else take the keys off and put the new ones on
thanks man...worked out pretty good only I didnt have someone to swap keys for me so instead I used a porta power to pry the bars down and made the swap. Success! Now for an alignment and 315/75/16's

Quick Reply: Lift install ?'s