2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake and ABS brake lights up on dash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you tried the adjustment to see if it stops your problem???

Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Use the resources you have available, your truck.

It can diagnose itself. All you need to do is get the code read by a dealer or a brake shop that can read the ABS controller. Otherwise, you're just guessing and throwing parts at it.

If it is 4 wheel ABS he has 3 wheel speed sensors. How much does it cost to change each one until you find which one it MIGHT be? It may not even be a wheel speed sensor. It doesn't sound like it is the rear wheel speed sensor. The speedometer signal from the PCM comes through the Anti-Lock Brake controller.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Exclamation not sure where this is coming from ?

All I said was do a simple brake adjustment it cost nothing but time and if it works wow how simple.

If you want to get agitated have fun do as you please just offering a simple solution all you need is a screwdriver.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
All I said was do a simple brake adjustment it cost nothing but time and if it works wow how simple.

If you want to get agitated have fun do as you please just offering a simple solution all you need is a screwdriver.

98Dak, it's not addressed to you. If you follow the whole post everyone is tossing in ideas, including adjusting the brakes. That's great, but throwing parts at it, wheel speed sensors, even at only $40 or so doesn't make sense. The truck can tell you what is wrong, that's all I'm trying to get across.

Use your resources.

Misadjusted back brakes shouldn't trip the ABS.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Exclamation Ok 00DakDan

I look at any problem as lets start with the easy fix solutions first that dont cost $$$.

Titan12345 has not said if he even tried the rear brake adjustment fix to see if that may work just told me how to adjust my brakes.

Getting the codes and using that info is great but has he done that?

He tosses out his ideas but has no follow up on what is not working or what he has tried so we can help move him forward.

Let's move forward.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Let's move forward.
Agreed. Thanks 98Dak.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Titan12345
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Sorry folks, I was out of town. I will not be able to work on the truck until the weekend, its in another town. I googled the problem and many claim the speed sensor on the rear diff, but my speedo works and my brake peddle sometimes vibrates on smooth blacktop when I apply them. The threads didn't mention if the peddle vibrated, but it did say the speedo was not working properly, so I am skeptical about the speed sensor.
I like the idea of going to a brake shop to pull codes. One local parts store will pull codes, but the machine used lacks full utility. I will ask if Napa can pull the code. Thanks for all that tried to help.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Titan12345
Professional

00DakDan,
Do you think the Auto Parts free diagonose will be able to determine the brake codes? Thanks,

Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 AM
EricBing
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine got a lil stiffer when sensor was failed and there was a pulsating feeling in brakes, and yes the speedo did get screwy occasionally, replaced sensor, diff lube, and cleaned off magnet in rear dif and everything was fine, that fixed my abs light and brake light problems, sensor located on top of rear diff. It seems as if rear end gets worn in and sensor picks up the fine metal dust, hence losing it's reading, and my brand new brakes have never self adjusted either, had 3 dakotas, none of which ever self adjusted

Last edited by EricBing; 08-21-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Titan12345
Professional

Ok, just back from trying to figure whats wrong. Both ABS and brake dash light comes on and I am beginning to feel regularly pulsing when stopping on dry road, then the lights come back on until I park and turn off until the next start up and stopping sequence. I only have rear ABS. I noticed under the brake resevior there is a valve that has 4 brake lines to it. Facing forward is a rubber stopper, and facing backwards is a rusted valve that is damp with brake fluid. It seeps, but not much because it does not drip but it is rusty and damp with brake fluid. It does not use brake fluid. This valve also has a electrical connection to it. Anybody know what it is or does? I had someone try to read codes, but the unit said it was OK, so it did not pull brake codes. I guess I might need to go to the dealer?
I guy I spoke to said that the ABS does not light if you need brake pads, so that ruled out needing brake pads. So, anybody have any comments???

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS brake lights up on dash?