2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Mph's dropped 5mph, blue smoke out tailpipes, pulled over and now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
logicsound
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, looks like replacing the engine might be the easiest and best solution, found one here http://accurateengines.com/remanufac...ge/318-engine/ for 1200 with a 3 year warrenty and its not to far from my house.

Can anyone point me to a FAQ or guide on removing the 5.2 and installing the new one? I am sure I can figure it out but those step by steps guides help so much!! and keep me from f bombing....

Thanks
T

Old 10-05-2011, 10:39 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well mostly it involves removing the front bumper, radiator, hood etc or just the whole front clip. Whatever is easier. You will need an engine hoist and basically just disconnect any plumbing/wiring that would keep it from coming out as well as the exhaust and remove the bolts that bolt it to the tranny and when that is done unbolt the engine from the motor mounts and remove it. Make sure and label or document(pictures) how each thing came off as well as label bolts etc. Im sure there is a thread about it some where but ill have to look.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM
logicsound

K, working on this now, Stuck on trying to get the A/c condensor lines off the a/c condensor!!! removed the clips and dont know how to get them out, tried pushing in and twisting, tried pulling, AHHH. hope I can find something in the search box.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:48 PM
logicsound

well, after some research it looks like I might to keep those lines hooked up since the ac was working so I would say there is freon in there. So what does everyone else do? just move the ac condenser off to the side when your pulling the engine, or is there some secret way to remove the freon without going to a shop???

Old 10-09-2011, 03:20 PM
zanethan
Veteran

you can unbolt the condensor and just shove it to the side. You can tie it off with a bungee cord to keep it out of the way. Leave the freon in there! no need spending more money than you have to.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
logicsound

ok, got the front clip off and the damn exhaust manifolds, all bolts rusted, what PITA. now on to unbolting the trans, Any tips? How many bolts? how do I get to them, what tools? just looking to save some time and anger, before I get under the truck.

Thanks
Trevor

Quick Reply: Mph's dropped 5mph, blue smoke out tailpipes, pulled over and now wont start