2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 dakota 4x4 loss of all electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM
radian22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 dakota 4x4 loss of all electrical power

Hi

I would like to get some advise regarding the loss of all power in my truck.
A few days after parking the truck I tried to start it but the truck was dead as a door ****.No lights not even the remote door-locks would work.
I checked some of the fuses and they all seemed OK.The weird thing after about 5 minutes trying to start the dash-lights came on briefly and i heard a relay clicking sound after that happened the power was gone again.
Then I opened the relay box under the hood to make sure all the relays are in proper place. Everything seemed to be normal than just like that, the power was back on.My battery is about a 1 1/2 years old but I did clean the terminal because I could see a bit of corrosion.This occurred now twice.When driving the voltmeter on the dash shows between 14-15volts.
I would appreciate any suggestions on the problem.

Thanks Radian22

Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Check the connection for the wire going in to the PDC under the hood. Make sure it is clean and tight.

How do the ends on the battery cables look? They can "appear" OK but be corroded internally. Wiggle them around and see if you get power back (or lose it).

If it happens again, check for power at the PDC and ground.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this happen once to me. Same exact thing with the relay's clicking. Came out to start my truck and it was completely dead. Left my key on when I went back to the garage to get the jump pack and when I came out my radio and cluster lights were on. Started it up and it would not idle was getting codes for tps,map and crank sensor. I cleaned up my terminals as best as I could and was fine for a couple months but would randomly not start once in awhile. It was a bad/corroded battery clamp. I replaced it and it hasnt done it since. These trucks are very picky about getting the right power and having good grounds if they dont they will do some very strange things.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 PM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

I have also had it happen once. Corroded negative battery terminal. Cleaned terminal and clamp and it hasn't happened since.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:06 AM
radian22

Thanks for all the suggestions,
The battery connectors seem to be clean.The positive I cleaned up it had a bit of corrosion (white/greenish)
I will clean both connectors again and than see what happens.

Cheers Radian22

Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take some coarse sand paper like 100 grit and clean the lug and the terminal. If you put it on and cant get it really tight then you need to get a new one.

Quick Reply: 2000 dakota 4x4 loss of all electrical power