2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A sound i can't figure out

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might sound stupid but on a cold morning you could jack up one wheel at a time and give them a couple of really good spins to see if the sound is there. No weight on the wheel may change the dynamics of it but it may help in locating the sound.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM
chris1996
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmikucki
no no thats fine thank you, yes the sound is always there nothing makes it go away except a warm day and that is it. To better explain the type of noise it sounds like brakes rubbing against the rotors, and yes i did check those as well to make sure it really wasn't them rubbing together.
change the front brake pumps seals mine do almost the same

Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM
chris1996
Veteran

Originally Posted by spshultz
This might sound stupid but on a cold morning you could jack up one wheel at a time and give them a couple of really good spins to see if the sound is there. No weight on the wheel may change the dynamics of it but it may help in locating the sound.
nope that's not stupid is almost what you need to do mine do a strange sound in the front brakes and it was the the front brake pump seals the didn't have the strength for disconnect the pads

Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
jrmikucki
Amateur

chris 1996 thats almost what it sounds like, like the breaks are rubbing cause the sound close to to rotor. But would the col weather affect that?

spshultz thank you for the advice i never thought of doing that i will try that then.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM
chris1996
Veteran

Originally Posted by jrmikucki
chris 1996 thats almost what it sounds like, like the breaks are rubbing cause the sound close to to rotor. But would the col weather affect that?

spshultz thank you for the advice i never thought of doing that i will try that then.
idk my country isnt as hot but is probably... when is hot is easier to transport the oil for the pumps... but do this push the truck while is turn off and cold from the front tire and hear if the brakes sounds

Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM
GreenDak22
Professional

Another question: I'm not sure how to ask it properly, but do you 'feel' the noise. Like does the steering wheel vibrate when you hear the noise or feel something rubbing/grinding/scraping through the floor where your pedals are...Something of that sort?
Also, your post about the wheel cylinders...those are used in drum brakes, and I can only assume you have rotors in the front. But maybe the mechanic who told you that mixed up wheel cylinders and pistons (which are for the calipers/rotors). Not sure what I'm getting at here haha, just trying to brainstorm.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM
GreenDak22
Professional

Another thing, is your Dakota rear-wheel drive or a 4x4?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 PM
jrmikucki
Amateur

no i don't feel the noise at all, no vibrations, nothing. it is a 4x4. i might as heard the mechanic wrong too and might be getting it mixed up myself haha.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 PM
chris1996
Veteran

Originally Posted by GreenDak22
Another question: I'm not sure how to ask it properly, but do you 'feel' the noise. Like does the steering wheel vibrate when you hear the noise or feel something rubbing/grinding/scraping through the floor where your pedals are...Something of that sort?
Also, your post about the wheel cylinders...those are used in drum brakes, and I can only assume you have rotors in the front. But maybe the mechanic who told you that mixed up wheel cylinders and pistons (which are for the calipers/rotors). Not sure what I'm getting at here haha, just trying to brainstorm.
the second kind of sound, well i take my brakes to the mechanic (just for safety leave it to the pros) and what i know is that the thing that caused the sound in mines is the brake pump seals... and then you need to bleed the system but that's all i know about it... and mine is a 4wd hope to be helpful

Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 PM
GreenDak22
Professional

Can't feel anything, you say. Hmm, that's pretty strange. Have you checked to see if all the fittings and joints are greased up...or does anything on the front-end need replacing?

And Chris1996 seems to have a good point, too.
If you do bring it back to the shop, ask them to take a look at the brake pump seals.

Quick Reply: A sound i can't figure out