2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A sound i can't figure out

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM
jrmikucki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sound i can't figure out

I have a 2000 dodge dakota that has about 128,000 miles on it and its making a noise that i can't figure out where its coming from. When i go to drive on a cold or even just a cool day i get this metal shearing sound from under the truck and i think it might be from the front end of the truck but its hard to tell, and of course when i take it into the shop they don't hear it. Th colder the air is the louder the noise is, i already had ball bearings replaced in the front, had the u-joints to the drive shaft replaced and still nothing helps. the weird thing is that once its been driving for awhile the noise goes away depending how warm it get, or if its really hot out then i don't hear it at all. Has anyone have this happen to them, or does anybody know what to do or where it might be coming from?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

you said that your front hub bearings have already been replaced. How long ago was that?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:21 PM
jrmikucki
Amateur

just this past year

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sound change with speed? Change with rpm's?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:32 PM
GreenDak22
Professional

I'm not too sure about the noise you're experiencing, but something similar happens to my '96 Dakota. It makes the strangest noise on the highway going at 65mph or faster. I originally thought it was something on the front-end; however it turned out to be the window when it was rolled all the way up...it must catch the wind somehow and makes the noise. The point that I'm trying to make is sometimes noises aren't what you think they are.
How fast are you driving when you hear the noise?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
jrmikucki
Amateur

GreenDak22 and and dodgeramguy85 the sound does change with speed its start as low as 15 mph then when you accelerate so does the sound. i know its a outside sound cuz if u have the music on, even just as background noise, and the windows up you can't hear it as well. But like i said once its been moving for awhile or if it warms up out side it tends to go away. I don't know if that helps you guys out or not.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

So just to clear it up rpms doesnt change it correct? My next theory is hub bearings, sound go away when turning left or right? or no matter what sound is always there? Just trying to rule out items

Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 AM
jrmikucki
Amateur

no no thats fine thank you, yes the sound is always there nothing makes it go away except a warm day and that is it. To better explain the type of noise it sounds like brakes rubbing against the rotors, and yes i did check those as well to make sure it really wasn't them rubbing together.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Hmmm Where did you get the hub bearing from? I know last week I did work on 2 chevys both had 1 month old hub bearings and they were bad. They were napa parts so I think napa got a bad batch of them. Might not be a bad idea to try a new hub. Im going to sleep on it and see if anything comes to mind tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 AM
jrmikucki
Amateur

ok thanks your help. the auto place i go to had to replace them once already but there was no change at all so i don't know. i do remember them saying something about a wheel cylinder was leaking and needs to be replaced, does that sound right?

Quick Reply: A sound i can't figure out