2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Been awhile since been on

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Bluedogcards
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been awhile since been on

Hi all,, got a question or two, what is good life for the 4.7 V8, and aslo need a good place to get parts or aftermarket, for front end work, not looking for upgrades just replacments, dealer want was to much for stuff, and junk yards are hard to come by for these parts

I have 2000 SLT 4x4 the question about eng live i have heard they crap out about 140.000 any truth???

thanks

Old 09-26-2011, 01:36 AM
drifter58
Rookie

Engine life all depends on how well you keep up on your regular maintenance. Right now my 3.9 is sitting at 235,000 and still running strong. But thats nothing compared to what I've seen these motor's go. I believe if I remembered right a buddy of mine had a 97 4.7 that had over 500,000. So If you keep up on your maintenance you can have yours go just as far, if not further.
As far as front end wise, I've found Google's Shopping search engine to be the best way of finding the cheapest parts. And it may even be cheaper to go aftermarket.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddys 4.7 in his jeep has 180,000 miles on it. It has been run pretty hard and it is still going strong. If you do regular maintenance on it they can last really long. As for parts try ebay and rockauto.com

Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM
DakMan6704
Captain

I just did my ball joints/bushings. Energy Suspension had the bushing kit(worked great), and I went XRF for the bushings. I have one Moog tie rod end...them or Napa seem to be the preferred brand. XRF is fairly new, but well reviewed.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Bluedogcards
Rookie

got over 222000 on mine and still going good, but then again i real try to take care of it, about my front end i snapped both bolts that hold the bottom of the shock, so i got that fixed and when i had a brake job done they stripped out one of the screws for the break cal, so i have to replace the metel thing, K- bracket i think,,, sorry not sure whats it called, when i did find one they wanted 300.00 for it. am going to put alittle money into it since it been real good to me.

Am i right it called a k-bracket

Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Bluedogcards
got over 222000 on mine and still going good, but then again i real try to take care of it, about my front end i snapped both bolts that hold the bottom of the shock, so i got that fixed and when i had a brake job done they stripped out one of the screws for the break cal, so i have to replace the metel thing, K- bracket i think,,, sorry not sure whats it called, when i did find one they wanted 300.00 for it. am going to put alittle money into it since it been real good to me.

Am i right it called a k-bracket
Heli coil it! I just saved you 250.00 lol I had to do that on my passenger side and it worked great went in and is still tight 6 months later. Biggest expense was the heli coil kit which was 39.99 at napa I also went ahead and got new caliper bolts.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Bluedogcards
Rookie

Never heard of Heli Coil will look into that, and the Calb bolt is striped on the bracket so that hole thing is not good, i check it weekly to make sure it is tight also tryed lock tight and that does work but lossin over time

thanks for all the comments

Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

The bolt that goes threw your caliper then attaches to your knuckle. That hole in the knuckle is stripped, correct? If so a heli coil will make it like new again. You can also get over sized bolts if they are not already in there. On my truck the last owner already had the over sized bolt in there when I got it so I had to heli coil mine.

This is what im talking about the caliper holes are circled in red.
p5230063.jpg

Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Bluedogcards
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
The bolt that goes threw your caliper then attaches to your knuckle. That hole in the knuckle is stripped, correct? If so a heli coil will make it like new again. You can also get over sized bolts if they are not already in there. On my truck the last owner already had the over sized bolt in there when I got it so I had to heli coil mine.

This is what im talking about the caliper holes are circled in red.
Thanks for the pics it looks real nice, am really thinking about just replacing the hole thing, and not even dealing with heli coil, reason for that if it don't work for some reason, i not out the money but for what i have read about it should be no problems. thanks again for all the help i have received from everyone

Quick Reply: Been awhile since been on