2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tires-Please help Tire Noob.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM
DuckandDodge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both companies have been around for around 100 years. so if they have been going that long, they must be doing something right. if you are looking for something more suited for off-road, general tires have gotten quite the good reputation over the past few years in baja and other big off-road competitions. just my two cents

Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Walmart- Indeed so; if its not exactly whats on the sticker in the door; they wont install; just buy and take else were for mount and balance.

they say it's too much of a liability.. ROFL..

Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DuckandDodge
both companies have been around for around 100 years. so if they have been going that long, they must be doing something right. if you are looking for something more suited for off-road, general tires have gotten quite the good reputation over the past few years in baja and other big off-road competitions. just my two cents

Anywhere that actually compares the off-road tests? Like actual real world off road driving comparing? That would good. Hey maybe that's the next big website if they don't.. :X

Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had nothing but problems from every set of Goodyear Wranglers I've had. Two of my ex's Grand Cherokees came with them new off the lot and one of my Jeep Wranglers had them. Only worse tire I've ever owned were BFG A/Ts.
The Grabbers are a good tire, BUT I only paid $127.50 a tire for my Nitto Terra Grapplers I put on my Grand Cherokee in 265/65/17 (30.5" x 10.5") and IMO are a much better tire. I got them at my local Tires Plus, they didn't stock them, but gave me that price and had them the next day.
I REALLY wanted Mickey Thompson ATZs, as I've used NOTHING but either a Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tire on my trucks for over a dozen years now and have found NOTHING to compare with them, BUT they are pricey and I couldn't touch them for under $200 a tire even in that relatively small size - just wasn't in the budget.
So far (2+ years and about 18k miles) I've been more than pleased with the Terra Grapps. Very quiet for a daily driver, excellent on pavement, very good off-road (as long as the mud ain't real deep) and probably the best wet pavement tire I've ever had.

100_0147.jpg

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-10-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
chris1996
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk how respect got maxxis or the price of they in USA but i felt in love with the big horn they are good in off road, almost impocible to hydroplane in those.... and are almost bullet proof... i have in they 10k miles and is at more than half life.... (most on higth way) and in trails... and im happy with every cent that i paid the cost me $200 each (here in costa rica) i assume cheaper in USA thas my 2 cents

Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have any first hand experience with the Maxxis Bighorns, but my little brother put a brand new set of Maxxis Buckshot Mudders on his Z71. LOUD, but a really good mud tire WHEN THEY HAD TREAD. Pulled them off BALD at 21k miles. I wish I had a pic of them, you coulda taken 'em to the track as slicks, LOL.

He listened to me on his next set, Mickey Thompson MTZs. yeah more $, but here they are with 37k miles on them:

0331001302.jpg

Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 PM
DuckandDodge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Anywhere that actually compares the off-road tests?
in the past car and driver mag have done it, as well at 4x4 mag (they had a whole issue just on it like 8 months ish ago) of course tirerack.com test all their tires and you can compare them. and youtube isnt a bad place to check either. as far as a website or some division of one just doing it. i dont think so.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM
jpayne80
Professional

I have the Hankook Dynapro ATMs and I have nothing but good things to say about. I have over 15,000 miles on them and look barely used.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Alright the generals are awesome. Haven't tried them off road yet, but I'm sure they will do great. I'll try to post up some pics later or tomorrow. I'd recommend them (so far in the 1 day that I've had them lol).

Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Alright the generals are awesome. Haven't tried them off road yet, but I'm sure they will do great. I'll try to post up some pics later or tomorrow. I'd recommend them (so far in the 1 day that I've had them lol).

Excitement in his post noted; Pics :X Woot.

Quick Reply: Tires-Please help Tire Noob.